1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Waterfowl Help

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by tobey522, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Any recommendations on what kind of thread is best to use when closing incisions or repairing rips in waterfowl?

2. jlf

jlf New Member

Any thread will work, I myself use nylon.

3. Thank you! :)

4. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

dont use a waxed thread on birds.

5. Thank you ^ I was wondering that!

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Why not?

7. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

yeah why not?

8. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

waxed thread will work just fine but will fight you all the way. It will cling to the feathers and try dragging them through the stitch holes and cause all kinds of problems.

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I use waxed dental floss. You are correct about it pulling feathers, but I like the extra grip I get from the wax. The sutures will not come loose as easily as non-waxed. Sew from inside to outside and the feather pulling becomes somewhat less of an issue.

10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

what he said

11. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

i use medical sutures that have the curved needle attached. They work like a charm, and before anyone asks, no I don't use the kind that dissolves.

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I get the same thing with non-waxed thread. You just need to slow down on the stitching and watch the thread a little more is all.

13. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

have used both they both have the same problems just go slow take your time and things will go just fine the faster you go with a bird the more problems you will have.