1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2011-2012 Bird Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by NWWINGS, Sep 9, 2011.

1. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Time to start it up again? I have only been out a couple times so far. Here's a pinfeathery ruffed grouse from a quick afternoon hunt. September honker season starts this weekend. I hope to get out at least once during that hunt.
    [​IMG]

Start posting those pictures!

2. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Sorry for the large picture of my ugly mug. I should have made the photo smaller :D

3. Nice Pat! Loved the color phase on that one.

Eric

4. johnb1

johnb1 Well-Known Member

love grouse huntin,nice! heres my start to the year,a md dove hunt.

Attached Files:

5. We have plenty of collared doves here, and i'm shootin 100+ each year, but this is my first Turtle dove ever ;D
    [​IMG]

6. went home for grouse opener last weekend. Managed one blue all weekend.

[​IMG]

7. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Nice turtle dove Milo, they are protected here so we cant shoot them.
    After 50 years of waiting, here is my first ever brace of red grouse ! I even managed to get a nice mature cock bird, hes in the freezer ! sorry for the not so close up pic.
    [​IMG]

8. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

I got drawn for sage grouse again. I went with the intention of looking for mature males, but as the day dragged on and the birds were increasingly hard to find I settled on a season limit of hens since I only had one day to focus on them. Both nice birds anyway. Its beautiful country out east too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

made it out on Ohio's first day of early goose season ,,whoooo 90 's that day ,but we got 2 .And the first retrieve [geese ] for my lab ,,her second season.My wife shot 3 photos but they were so graiy and fuzzy it was horrible.

10. babak

babak Active Member

very nice photos every body,wood pigeons has done the day before yesterday!
    [​IMG]

11. daniel

daniel New Member

looking good so far looks like you had a fun day babak hopefully will be adding a few pics to this thread in the near future ..daniel

12. ManHunterUSMC

ManHunterUSMC New Member

Here's a couple California Quail I took with my recurve. I plan on going out a few days this week to see if I can fill my bag with some male gambel quail... Wish me luck.

Attached Files:

13. OOS

OOS New Member

:)[​IMG]

14. babak

babak Active Member

thank u carlos,i and my retired teacher and setter of photographer friend harvest that high flying boids luckily!!
    nice hunt MHU,it's amazing hunting with a recurve ,congrats for masterful shooting!!
    OOS,nice hunt and beatiful photo,just tell me wich area of ur country contains this species?i mean where did u hunt them?

15. ManHunterUSMC

ManHunterUSMC New Member

Thanks Babak,
    It's really tough to start hunting with a recurve, but the more you practice, the more you realize it's all a game of knowing your arrow trajectory, under 50 yards you have to aim pretty low. After that the effective range is just how far out you can feel comfortable.

How is Iran these days? I've heard of some great hunting out that way, so i'm sure the Taxidermy work is business is good, huh

16. OOS

OOS New Member

Babak, grouse live in the coniferous boreal forests of Eurasia. Welcome to Russia ;)

17. Hunters

Hunters New Member

Nice photo everyone. Greate looking trophy :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. babak

babak Active Member

hi friends,

MHU,yeah that'S an art hunting a bird with recurved!!!IRAN!!!!i get tag for bird hunting two times more expensive rather than previous year!life is very hard and expensive related to low income of medium families and now here is superficially peaceful but ....

THANKS OOS FOR INFO'S!!

19. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Seeing a few cranes!

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:
  20. Wouter

Wouter Member

I hope this question is not too stupid ???:
    I know Sandhill Cranes are legal to hunt in several states in the US. I was wondering: do they make good eating? I assume they were added to the "shootable" list because they are edible, but are they actually tasty?

Wouter