1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

WHAT HAPPENED ?????

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by FENCEROW, Apr 6, 2007.

1. FENCEROW

FENCEROW Member

what did i do wrong here. i have a boar hide i'm tanning. salted pickled neutralized tanned with e-z 100 oiled with pro plus oil. now the hide is turning a light pinkish purple color. what did i do wrong.i kept an eye on the ph in all steps.just can't figure this one out. what can i do to save this cape. new to the tanning process. so must be some thing i did thanx chris

2. FENCEROW

FENCEROW Member

never happened to anyone else i guess

3. Gina

Gina New Member

Was the cape submerged the whole time inthe pickle?? What was the temprature of the pickle and the tan?? Is the whole thing pink or just some areas?? If you got pictures i am sure that might help.....

4. Did you use a metal container to tan or pickle in?

5. FENCEROW

FENCEROW Member

GINA. cape was submerged for 3 days checked ph stayed between 1 - 2 shaved & returned to pickle. not sure of temp had it in the basement so probaly between 65-68 degrees.whole cape was white after pickle & tan but started turning in small areas first but has spread throughout whole hide. don't have digital camera so no pictures sorry. mike d pickled & tanned in two diffrent rubbermaid totes

6. How long since oiled?
    and how has it been stored?
    If allowed to sit in a warm environment with out completely drying, it could be a mold?

7. FENCEROW

FENCEROW Member

mike d put it in the freezer after i rinsed and towel dried took it out to prep for mounting.just can't seem to figure this out could it be some kind of chemical reaction?

8. RStanton

RStanton New Member

metal contamination.

9. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

You can bet your bottom dollar that it was a chemical reaction. You just have to figure what reacted. What color were the tanning vats?

Was the skin salt dried before hand? how did you rehydrate?

Lots of parameters.

10. FENCEROW

FENCEROW Member

CYCLONE. pickle was in a green tub tan was a blue tub both were plastic. i never dried hide out hard.video i have didn't say to.i guess what i want to know is if this cape is salvageable can i repeat all steps and retan? thanx chris

11. cyclone

How did you rehydrate? How did you Neutralize? If not properly rehydrated and/or neutralized you may have only gotten a surface tan and the color of the raw hide is coming from underneath. If you cut the skin is the coloration throughout?

I'm not familar with EZ...perhaps Bruce will see this. You may have to call him on this one.

12. FENCEROW

FENCEROW Member

I GOT A PICTURE WITH MY CELL PHONE HOPE THIS HELPS

13. Is it possible you got a bit of Iodized salt in the mix? I have heard that this will turn the skin and hair pink.

Just my two cents.

Shelby

Promise Land Tannery

14. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Definitely a sign of a chemical reaction. Usually with iron somehow. It usually goes from pink (slight exposure) to purple (moderate exposure) to black purple (heavy exposure.

I had a call from a girl who tanned a piece that had black dots all over it. We talked about it but she said there was no way it came in contact with any metals. A few days later she was nice enough to call back and tell me her brother admitted to using the bench grinder nearby and it seemed a logical source.

The color does not hurt the tan. It's not pink because its raw. It's tanned - but you have to live with the coloration. Is it to be mounted? Or a wall piece? Or a rug? Mounting it or making a rug would hide it - but as a wall piece - it will show. The coloration is irreversible.

I have a good friend that uses an older Auto Tanner. The lining had peeled and he lived with pink capes for awhile until he had it relined.

15. FENCEROW

FENCEROW Member

thanx mr rittle thats what i wanted to know don't know how any iron could have gotten to it though. i would also like to thank everyone for their help maby someday i can help you too thanx again chris

16. cyclone

Iron can be present in your water supply. It is the most likely source of contamination. Oxides of iron tend to be reddish or a rusty color. Sulfides of iron tend to be dark or black in color. You probably have a mixture.

17. Spiderman

Spiderman New Member

Just a thought. Could this be a pink mold problem? I've seen this happen. Tanks not clean maybe?
    Spidey