1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I Vow not to use krylon TT anymore!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Manny, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

Glossed a fish last night and it looked like 2 percent milk was poured over it.

I have used this product many times before with decent results, I guess the humidity got me.
    I hit it with a blow dryer and cleared up about half of it.
    Let it sit near an air-conditioner vent all night, and it's still there.

I freaked out and did some searching here and used a little bit of thinner on a papertowel and it wiped off pretty good.
    I was scared to use it again so I reglossed it with Future floor wax and it pulled out of it.

Never again !

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Manny, for a can try Painters Touch 2X gloss. It's not nearly as temperamental as T.T. I've made the switch and it's half the price of T.T. and much more readily available around me...

3. copper

copper Active Member

liquid crystal in a aerosol can

4. jlf

jlf New Member

X2

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Get away from all of the aerosol cans... JMO

6. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

Anyone else use this http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/u-pol-clear-1-high-gloss-clear-coat-up0796-p-15130.aspx
    I have and it works for me with no issues.

I just tried the TT as I was out of the U-Pol and it did the samething clouded up.

7. I live in good ol'humid Arkansas and have never had any problems with TT.

8. FishArt

Out of perhaps a thousand+ fish I've had a handful that had very minimal clouding and all of them except one of my very first fish (personal specimen) went away after about a half hour of simply leaving them alone. I think I got the gloss on a little thick in spots. I'm very, very careful with the humidity because I do spray outside. No mornings or evenings and if it's questionable I don't gloss with T.T. I know DougP never has any issues but he sprays T.T. inside in an air conditioned environment. And I'm sure he has sprayed many thousands of fish with T.T. The other issue is IF you get it on a little too thick. If you can't lay down a nice even coat without getting it thick in spots, I would not recommend T.T. T.T. IS a bit temperamental and it does take practice to master laying down an even gloss coat. That's one of the reasons I switched. But, the main reason(s) were cost and availability issues. Since Walmarts around me quit carrying it the closest place is about 20 minutes away and twice as expensive as Walmart had it. It forced me to try something different. I'm glad I did. 2X is very, very forgiving compared to T.T. and it also doesn't smell as bad as T.T. Even just bringing a freshly glossed fish inside to dry the smell would immediately give me a headache. $3 bucks a can is the clincher though!

9. FishArt

At $17 bucks a can it better not have ANY issues!!!! :)

10. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

It is Little pricey but What is it that George says my customer pay for it LOL

11. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

Manny i would get in the habit of testing it, before using it

12. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

if it ever happens again have some polytranspar lacquer retarder on hand and spray through your airbrush onto the fish it will clear it right up...thinner may...I just never tried it... just go light...

13. I glossed one with TT also last week,
    No problems with it unless you get it on too thick. But it always clears up if I do get a spot that's too thick.

14. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Never had a cloudy problem with TT but didnt like how thick (hence the name eh....lol), it went on. I like to put a couple good coats on my fish and TT can EASILY be over-applied as compared to others I've used (Rustoleum Speciality Lacquer, Auto clear, etc), where the build-up is more gradual..........

15. All my cans of Krylon have been plugging up whether it's TT or just plain gloss, satin or flat. Anyone else having that problem? Manny I know that skimmed milk color way to well and have almost changed gloss but not yet.

16. Most of the timei if I switch nozzle's it's fine but sometimes is just stops dead. I need to get some of those graffiti nozzle's and try them.

17. The past three fish I did, I used minwax polycrylic spray gloss. It was a little thinner than spray lacquer but not clouding in humid conditions and dried with a great clear gloss. It's definitely my new gloss in a rattle can

18. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Only used spray can stuff too lock in base colors
    I use DCU 2002 clear coat
    A little pricy but goes a long way
    .5 oz will make a 12 lb bass look like it was jus pulled from the water
    Very durable and super dense

Carl

19. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Clew,........

**I use DCU 2002 clear coat**

And what is that product, where do you get it, and how is it applied?

Thanks

Kerby...

20. Manny

Manny New Member

Wow! I always thought that stuff had a yellow tint?
    I guess not.