1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Steampunk Fox work in progress

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by phoenix-cry, Sep 11, 2011.

1. phoenix-cry

phoenix-cry Active Member

Right! Fibula...I knew that...no...really...I did.....at some point.

Hmmmm...keep holding that judgment, it's good for you!

2. I like the ear-gauges foot. :D

3. phoenix-cry

Heehee, I couldn't help myself with the ear gauges. Sadly those ones are too small for my ears these days!

4. RedWolf7

RedWolf7 Member

Looks like the Sculpy III might be useful as cartilage for spacing vertebrae! Wonder if they have a no bake version.

5. phoenix-cry

There is a no bake fluffier version, but not the regular stuff. I am still working on this, I have both back and front legs done, working on spine

6. update the pics! ;D

7. phoenix-cry

I need to. I don't like how the spine is now so I haven't taken any pics.... Pics soon! I promise!

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Post pics when you are ready and what you have to show satisfies you. A lot of us are watching the thread and we will all know when you do so we can come and look. You are not assembling a skeleton. What you are doing takes time .. and thought.

Sent you a PM as well :)

9. WOW...............bad ass.

10. ::) :D Articulating skeletons also takes a lot of time and thought.

As there was already WIP pics up it's not like we're holding a gun to the artist's head by expressing enthusiasm in this project. Wowie.

11. phoenix-cry

No guns! Giggle.

Okay, here is the latest. I'm still missing the front feet (the pipes are going to stay for support). I had to take apart the whole spine, I had tried to use the neural canal and it just wasn't stable enough. So I drilled all the way through each body of the vert and placed a twisted stiff wire through the new canal. Then for added strength to the next I placed a copper tube in the neural of the neck and into the back. There are smaller copper pipes in the neural canal in the lower back for show only. (the light bulb fell off the patella....)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the support everyone!! Right now I'm focusing on getting the structure down, then I'll start adding the 'cool' stuff.

12. TRAPPERGIRL

TRAPPERGIRL Proud Member-Taxidermy M.A.F.I.A. & Taxinet Clique

Pretty Cool -- Marking this ;D

13. It's looking better and better. 8)

14. phoenix-cry

Thanks! Lots of work left to do. However I'm pleased with how 'stable' it is at the moment. It isn't threatening to collapse under its own weight or anything. I can't wait to start working on the 'fuel tank' system in his belly (I'll put ribs on after that).

15. Very exciting to see this as you go. I like the band on the front leg bones there... and are the legs drilled all the way through? I assume it's a shallow hole and the wires are glued in instead of threaded all the way through, but I could be assuming wrong.

16. phoenix-cry

The leg bones are attached with 1/2 long copper tubing, they are not drilled all the way through.

17. phoenix-cry

Here is some more work on the skull. I make a hinged window in one side that has some gears and a pyrite ammonite set in resin (something I made a while ago). While I was trying to make a small round hole in the other side of the skull to just give a 'little view'...I shattered the back of the skull open. So I put the lower part of the skull back together and decided to leave the gaping hole in the top. I will be adding some more stuff in the brain. I'll be using white quick set epoxy to attach the copper wire in the neck to the base of the inside of the skull so I can hide the wire with that and add some gears and maybe a jewel into it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard to photo graph. When I'm all done I'll get out my tripod and take some serious pictures of the whole work.

18. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Outstanding! :) Keep plunking at it.

19. RKG

RKG New Member

Wow

20. :D