1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanned skin Ostrich questions

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by NWWINGS, Sep 13, 2011.

1. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    I have a request from a guy who I sometimes do birds for. He has a bunch of African stuff with an ostrich included. I looked at it last night. Tanned skin. Split all the way down the legs. Split all the way up the throat with the skull in there. There is also another bag of feathers I'd have to patch in. Wings are split too. It really looks like a big mess. Is this normal? Tanned skin like that coming back from Africa? I have zero experience with ostriches. Any comments or advice are welcome. Do I even consider taking on this project ???

2. RDA

RDA Active Member

BAAAHAHAA! THAT IS the normal Pat... :D ;) Its JUST a big bird period.... CHARGE accordingly! You can do the natual legs (best) or repros, glue in sone tiny downie feathers over seam here and there on the neck, along with skillfull painting, and YES you will use that bag of feathers using superglue and a sharp pin...I used 3/8 rod for the wings. Last one i did was done in a day including mann mods.. ;)

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Tanned? Yipes. That might be good, or it might be bad. I've heard some scary things about African tanneries.
    If it looks like it was skinned by aborigines with a rusty machete and a lot of anger issues, then yes, that is normal - based on the ones that I have seen coming from Africa.

4. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    RDA & Nancy - You were two of the people I was hoping might respond to this. I have seen your projects in the past. I am only slightly intimidated about the size of the bird... that's not the biggest issue I see. The tanned skin just looks like garbage... Normal I guess :-\. I don't work with tanned skins!!! :D. How do I relax this thing to even begin to make it work? I'm just a simple bird guy you know... Never, ever, ever have I attempted anything with a tanned skin. Sorry about the rookie questions. Thanks for the advice!

5. RDA

RDA Active Member

soaker up dooood!...ANd yes, as Nancy further desribed they are somewhat THRASHED as a norm.. MUCH can be done with some apoxie sculpt and thos thakfully LARGE feathers..otherwise just another big ol swan.... :D

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I would price them about the same as ten big ol' swans, by the way. That's only fair, based on what they weigh and how long they take to mount. And if you have to put quarters in the cussin' jar for every F bomb then it might be even more.

Erm ... one day, Ron ??? I am thinking that maybe you are leaving out a few steps, like making the form fit, fleshing and tanning the hide, doing the epoxy repair work, painting the skin, gluing in the dropped feathers, etc, etc. Or did you mean just one day to get it on the form after you have it already tanned, fitted and prepped? Did you use cast legs?

7. RDA

RDA Active Member

well ok,,,,,YA BUSTED me there,, i MEANT mounted to dry in one day including mannikin prep sewing/stapling etc... No finish work...thats another half day at least! ::) :D

8. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    Thanks for the advice. I quoted a price and talked details with the guy. We'll see if it ever amounts to anything.

9. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

skin those legs and mount them up if possible ,,if not already butchered or dried out ,by ''skinned all the way down the legs'' ,,did you mean to the toes??