1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I'm afraid it's going to be a slow hunting season in East TX this year...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Michael Brigman, Sep 14, 2011.

1. My wife's uncle owns a feed store in East TX. I talked to him today. He said that he usually sells between 1,000 and 1,300 bags of deer corn in September each year, everyone loading up their feeders before season starts. As of two hours ago, he had sold 126 bags! I'm sure it's a combination of the drought and the wildfires. But whatever the reason, I'm afraid it's going to be a slow hunting season this year.

What are the early projections in your part of Texas?

2. Brandon M.

Brandon M. New Member

If I was guessing, I would think its going to be about normal or a little better in our area. Its been dry here same as all of Texas but the trail camera pics I'm getting and have seen of others don't reflect what I would have expected. The deer look healthy and there seem to be more deer hitting the feed, I guess due to there being less than normal amounts of natural forage.

3. Boxie

Boxie New Member

I am seeing good bucks here on trail cameras. We are in a heck of a drought but I think the acorn crop from last year carried the deer over in great shape. It sure surprised me and I am hearing the same from my neighbors! I am not located in big deer country at all but I must say the horns I have seen already top any other year I witnessed! I am located between Houston and Victoria in west Colorado County!

4. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

I think the reason is more price related than deer related. Corn is running $10 a bag!!! A person can go broke keeping a feeder full.

5. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

YEP! I know I ain't buying no corn this year ;D

6. We just cut way back on run times on feeders we have here. Only spins for 3 seconds twice a day. Corn last twice as long and deer still come to it as they always did. We don't hunt on top of feeding stations though, we want them comfortable coming there. We try to get them on the way.

7. I have seen more deer this summer than i have ever seen in our area. The bucks i have seen are very good just as good as they were last year. I think there will be alot of deer shot and still good quality but next year if we dont get rain we are in trouble.

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Yep, that's a lot of it. But let that first real Norther blow in and corn will be a selling. It's kinda hard to get excited this year :)

I know i'm gonna take a BIG whallop because I have a very large customer base in Bastrop, but I think all in all if we have taken care of our past customers taht they will be back and bringing friends :)