1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need info, (new info added)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Daniel Callan, Sep 15, 2011.

1. I just bought this from a guy that didn't want it.

Can any one tell me what kind of hartebeest this is? It was mounted in 1968

Does anyone know anything about this taxidermy company Frontier Taxidermist Inc. or the person it was mounted for, Chef Alberto

This form is hollow and I think it's made of paper.

Not a bad mount, I think, the ears are a little rough but I will try to fix them

Attached Files:

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Re: Need info

Hey Daniel,

At first I thought it was a common Red Hartebeest.
    [​IMG]

After more examination, it looks more like a Coke's Hartebeest ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are so many variations within one of the many subspecies, it can sometimes be hard to tell the players without a program! ;) ;D
    [​IMG]

In 1968 all there was were hollow paper mannikins and head forms. The mount is not too bad looking for its day. Yes ... there was some very nice work being done by some firms, and Frontier Taxidermists were one of the good guys. I believe they even had a tannery ... but don't quote me there! ;D

Chef Alberto? Dunno ... most likely a Chef in the greater Chicago area.

3. Re: Need info

thanks John

I googled Chef Alberto and this what it said.

May 25, 1919 - May 27, 2000

Alberto Pipia, Certified Executive Chef, served patrons for 30 years at his two Chicago restaurants, including the famous "Chef Alberto's" on Lake Shore Drive. An avid sportsman, the restaurant showcased his legendary skill in the preparation of wild game. Chef Alberto perfected these skills on "Chef Alberto's Culinary Outdoor Series," a long-running nationwide tour demonstrating cooking techniques that featured his Premium All Purpose Seasoning. His Italian and classic cooking skills were honed at such fine eateries as "The Palmer House" and "The Pump Room." A lifetime of culinary devotion resulted in his standing in the American Academy of Chefs, Chefs de Cuisine, Les Amis d' Escoffier Society, and The Honorable Order of the Golden Toque.

A founding member of the Chicago area "Safari Club International," Chef was a regular on "The Jim Thomas Outdoor Show" on WGN-TV and appeared frequently on the "World of Adventure" and "Adventure Unlimited" TV shows. Named Chicago's "Sportsman of the Year" in 1965, he was also appointed "Chef" to the "Royal Order of the Walrus" by (then) Alaska Governor Eaglen, where he hunted with personal friends Bing Crosby and famed rifle maker George Weatherby. A world-class big game hunter, Chef traveled often to Africa, where he bagged elephant, lion, zebra, etc., as well as hunting all of the North American trophies, including a record twelve foot black bear that is now on display in a Cleveland museum. A World War II veteran, Chef frequently exhibited his true sportsmanship by donating his time and effort to sponsor dinners for veterans in area hospitals. A proud member of the local German Shepherd Club, Chef and his constant companion "Marko" were known and loved by all.

Very interesting

4. LordRusty

Ohio

Wow! Well, there you go! Now we know. ;) Good research, there!

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

That is cool!

6. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

frontier even had a supply company.....i used their springbok forms back in the early 70's....they had a better paper springbok form than jonas did.....

7. Re: Need info

I don't know if I want to restore it or get a new cape and remount it

8. LordRusty

Ohio
    If it is in good shape ... tight skin all around, I would restore it. Just for the historical signifigance of the piece and the quality of the work. It looks like a quality mount! New Hartebeest horns can be had for some very good prices on eBay, and even better prices from Blue Duiker - http://www.blueduiker.com/skulls/ - in Capetown, South Africa. I buy many items from him, and they are all above board, legal sales ... all tagged when needed.

Granted this particular specimen is a female, but this an example:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Philipp is also open to requests ... if he doesn't have a particular specimen, ask and he can usually fill the order!

Good luck with the head, whatever you decide to do.
    John.

9. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

John, John, John,

Lichtenstein Hartebeeste, Mozambique and the Selous

a[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Cool stuff and interesting to boot. Nice find.

11. Thanks John for the web site, got it saved in my favorites, I will keep that option in mind.
    I think I will restore it , it has a little drumming around the ears but the rest is tight as a drum
    I might even resell it, who knows

Thanks Jerry for the info, that is exactly what it looks like, so now I know

Yah it's cool stuff

By the way I only payed $25 for it

12. LordRusty

Ohio
    Jerry, Jerry, Jerry ... I've never mounted one. :( :-\ I have done Red, Topi, Coke's and Jackson's (from a private 'herd'), and Tssebee. At any rate ... thank you for the correction! ;)

13. i have a spare set of horns if anyone wants to exchange for topi horns