1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Eastern Rattlesnake, Beaver fetus, (REVISED)

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Millwright, Sep 16, 2011.

1. One 2' +- (guessing) EDB, Very good color, No damage. $30 Plus shipping.
    [​IMG]

Four fetus beaver. Two with some hair and 2 or 3 with very little hair. $8 each plus shipping
    [​IMG]

Still have a couple of coyote pups left. No damage. $50 Plus shipping.
    Couldn't find pictures right away but do have them. Will supply on request.

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Re: Eastern Rattlesnake, Beaver, Roof rats

I've never even herd of a roof rat before, but I have to admit, for a rat it's pretty cute. lol

3. Re: Eastern Rattlesnake, Beaver, Roof rats

Roof rat is the modern, possibly politically correct, name for what used to be called the black rat. Its tail is longer than its head and body combined. This one is cuter than others of its kind I have seen.

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Looks nothing like a "rat". The face looks more round to me. Kinda like a teddy bear hamster. lol

5. LRB

LRB Member

Nice EDB's.....

ML~~

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

OK, PM sent on the rats. :D

7. Re: Eastern Rattlesnake, Beaver, Roof rats

That is one very cute rat!

From Mammals of the Eastern U.S. by Hamilton and Whittaker:
    In the eastern U.S. there are three subspecies of the black rat (Rattus rattus). The roof rat is Rattus rattus alexandrinus. The black rat and roof rat often fall prey to their larger and more aggressive cousin the Norway rat (Rattus norvegicus). They are able to coexist somewhat because black and roof rats are better climbers. Black rats are found mainly along the coasts, but also in many inland cities. They are more common in the southern states, and roof rats are most abundant in the deep south.

Black rats (and their fleas) were the carriers of the Bubonic plague that wiped out more than a third of the population of Europe in the 14th century. They are also carriers of typhus which caused an epidemic in Texas as recently as 1941.

8. Re: Eastern Rattlesnake, Beaver, Roof rats

I stand corrected. Will have to get that field guide. Mine only speaks of the roof rat and it is general for North America. Is yours available from Amazon?

9. spk1142

spk1142 Member

if Redwolf doesn't take all rats I'd like one.

10. Re: Eastern Rattlesnake, Beaver, Roof rats

I will look today on the exact numbers I have but for now Redwolf has spoken for the three. I can catch more if needed.

From the book of Low Knowledge (me), The rats have always been call "Pack Rats" here. Their ability to build nest the size of an eagle nest and "steal" objects such as tools, pencils, drill bits, etc. and store them in the nest along with a food source such as corn and acorns surely earns them the given name by my ancestors.

Appreciate the interest all...

11. Re: Eastern Rattlesnake, Beaver, Roof rats

Forgive me, but a pack rat is not a black rat. It is a wood rat and is native to North America. Of the genus Neotoma, it is found mostly in the southwest, but a subspecies can be found in Florida. Your description fits that of a wood rat, not a roof rat.

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Like just about any species in this country, we (for some reason unknown) give them different names and mix and match. :D
    Either way, I'm looking forward to mounting these rodents ;D

13. Re: Eastern Rattlesnake, Beaver, Roof rats

I must admit, they are cute. If you mount enough of them I may try to buy one from you.

14. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I think I'll only do one of them. My wife is hooked on taxidermy now so she'll probably want to do the others :D

15. Re: Eastern Rattlesnake, Beaver, Roof rats

You could very well be correct. The term Roof Rat was given to me by an Un-named Biology teacher in an un-named college.
    They used them for the students study. But...then just like now, "I don't give a Rats ass" :) what there called. We've always just called them pack rats.

I do have just the 3 but can have a couple more in the next day or two if anyone's interested.

16. Re: Eastern Rattlesnake, Beaver, Roof rats

I'll take a few of the rats when you catch more. I'll let you know what species they are then too.

17. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

All this talk about the rats and there are 2 nice easterns there :D

18. Re: Eastern Rattlesnake, Beaver, Roof rats

PM sent

19. Re: Eastern Rattlesnake, Beaver, Roof rats

Money sent, look foward to getting the snake

20. Re: Eastern Rattlesnake, Beaver, Roof rats

Thank you Tony. Packaged up and will be in the mail tomorrow.

Bob, Yours will also.

Thanks guys