1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

eye area cracking

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by miami_fins, Sep 18, 2011.

1. miami_fins

miami_fins New Member

hey everyone. ive dealt with this issue many times in the past. ive noticed it on my personal mounts cuz obviously my own mounts stay in my posession. but i'll get hair line cracks around the eye skin. is it just from the dryness of colorado's humidity? i know in the peak of summer my shop will get up to 80 degrees at night for some odd reason. can that cause the cracking ? i thin the face area thin as possible...... I ALSO apply liqua-soft to my eye, nose, lip areas. but the cracking occurs. i dont know if my customers mounts crack or not, i havent had any complaints. i always advise them to keep the mounts in room temperature and out of extreme heat. any suggestions on stopping the cracking? Thank you to everyone.

2. RTF

RTF Active Member

Are you tanning the capes yourself and if so with what.

3. Non-TypicalArtist

Non-TypicalArtist ABOVE Expectations. BEYOND Ordinary.

I have one that was done here in PA and is doing the same thing.

4. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

IMO if everything else was done correct finish cracks are cause by finishing the mount before it is completely dry.

5. miami_fins

miami_fins New Member

i been pickling with pretan 110 and tanning with liqua tan and using liqua soft on the face . i always let the mounts dry atleast 3-4 weeks. ive let them sit in the past for30-40 days. i have no ideaaaaaaaaa ???

6. x2

7. Cameraman

Cameraman Member

make sure you push extra skin towards the area that is getting the cracks. leave it really lose dont pull the skin away from the area taxi it towards the area that is getting the cracks as it dries it shrinks so give it extra skin to shrink.

8. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Is the hide cracking or is it the epoxy and paint work? I would switch to a safty acid for pickleing in place of the pre tan, stronger acid. Also the hide has to be thin, don't know how your thinning those areas.

9. Glue the hide as you mount and allow it to dry. what most people dont understand about drying a mount is simply this a mount may be dry, but its not stabilized, it will pickup moisture, then dry out again back and forth a few times until its stable. and you need a good glue under the hide and the form completely sanded.

10. What about cracks on the chin?