1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning...Using Acorns?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by wolfforce58205, Sep 19, 2011.

1. So a friend was posting on the infamous FaceBook about how he wanted to try eating an acorn, asking if it was poisonous (he tried it before getting an answer anyways). Of course, acorns have tannin in them, which has to be soaked out of them before consumption or you can get some stomach aches/feel sick (not to mention the bad taste).

That brought on a different discussion about tanning using the tannins found in acorns, then I found this web page: http://www.ehow.com/how_8465280_tan-animal-skins-using-acorns.html

I was wondering, has anyone ever tried this on here? If so, would you recommend it (for small things like rabbits or squirrels or something that's not so precious to you)?

While I'm on that topic, I've had some small rabbits in my freezer for almost a year now (I think I got them around last December?) that I wanted to try this out on. The rabbits came to me from out of state but shipped quickly in an insulated box, otherwise they've been in the freezer, but not tightly packaged, the whole time. Will they still be ok? No major slipping or other problems?

Thanks guys!

2. I have bark tanned. Acorns - Or anything along that line is the same type.
    And it will work.
    Like any tanning it needs to be done Right.

It does stain both the Hair and the Leather. When the Tanned items touch White Leather or Furs, they will stain those also.

But it does work. And the leather can be made to lay flat. Or soft like a rag.

3. acorn marky

acorn marky New Member

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

This is a site more for tanning for taxidermy work and not clothing or apparel work.

Yes acorns and other Mother Nature products are used in clothing tanning not for taxidermy work. Hell pigeon poop is used also and produces some of the highest quality shoe leather but not for taxidermy as we need the hair on.
    Thanks for informing those who what to try just garment tans.
    Also the Indians made bread from acorns also.

rogerswildlife likes this.