1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shop Floor Protection

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by CROW, Sep 21, 2011.

1. CROW

CROW New Member

I took advice from a few individuals and checked out UCoatit.com. I ordered and applied their system to my new shop floor and had positive results with their product. I posted this for reference and hope to put it through the rigors of a taxidermy shops life before I give a full review. So far, the application was great and looks good too. I could have used 4 gallons instead of the 3 I purchased as a kit.

Plain Beige color. No "Flek" chips. No Gloss. Grit for traction applied at entryways.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. looking good

3. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

How costly?

Keep us posted on the durability. This could be very helpful.
    Thanks.

4. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

I'm having my shop floor done by the end of the month. Really looking forward to it. I think I'll be adding the silica throughout for traction. I hear it makes it a pain to mop but I have floor drain. I'll be able to hose down and squeege.
    Your floor looks great!

5. CROW

CROW New Member

I spent $400 for my floor, including shipping. You could save with a dealer near you. Their site has a "Material Estimator" to assist you on your project. http://www.ucoatit.com/2011web/main.htm is their webpage. It's very informative.

One gallon is $125. There's certainly all kinds of floor coverings out there, and they all claim to be better than the other.

6. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

I used Rustoleum garage epoxie and it worked good. But it is starting to wear in a couple of spots and this may be a better option. Do you remember what the coverage area was per gallon. It seems like I only covered a small area.

7. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

Hope you are in a climate--If you have snow and ice you are on your ass!!

8. CROW

CROW New Member

One gallon does appx. 200-288 sq. ft. It's a 2 coat system. There is a video on youtube as well that better describes what is necessary before and during application.

It doesn't rain and snow indoors! ;) Maybe it's my shoes but I was in the shop today (in the rain) and all I do is squeak. No slipping. Don't think heels would be a good option though. Slips and falls are definitely something to consider, and nothing to take lightly. Especially if customers are involved in the equation. I thought about my project for 2 months before acting and opted for grit traction 3 feet around entryways, mainly to hold carpets in place. We'll see if I planned that well.

9. jlf

jlf New Member

I have debated on doing my floor for the past couple years. My main concern or question was how difficult it is to clean blood or remove bear grease, etc. from the floor? Do cleaning products or other chemicals affect the product at all? ???

10. sean997

sean997 Member

Just some down on my floor. Cleans up easy using household cleaners and doesnt hurt coat.

11. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

That's the experience I had. I like the flecks because it really hides a lot. What is the difference between this and the epoxie coating?

12. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

That floor will look better once it has some blood and hide past drippings on it. ;D I wonder what laquer thinner would do to a finish like that Im always squirting
    it all over the place wether it be at spiders or getting bondo out of hair.

13. I love my floor, I put it down when I built my shop a few years ago. It was about $485.00 for the system I used, which was Musclegloss.com. I put a few down for others before doing mine. I have had a few hundred deer, bears, drop anything on it and its impervious to water. I have spilled a whole can of Laquer thinner on it. I just quickly used a towel and dried it up and no problem at all. I recently spilled Krowtann(half a small bottle) on it and also cleaned it up. The Musclegloss is not the Home Depot or Lowes level of floor, It goes on with a squeegee, backroll with a roller on a long handle, then walk on it with ice fishing cleats, and throw the flecks of your color choice in the air and they will set in by themselves. I threw more flakes near the entry doors for more traction, then stayed off of it for 3 days and PRESTO, you are ready to go. It sweeps up easy and mops up great. No blood smell to stick around. I would recommend this company and system to anyone, it may seem like a lot of money in the beginning, but man is it worth it. My work area I used it on is 28'x28'. I went with the gray with blue/black/white flecks, and could not be happier. A word of caution though, I have wiped out a few times when trying to make a quick move on a wet floor!
    [​IMG]