1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what kind of customers p_ss you off the worst?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by davehyer, Sep 21, 2011.

1. davehyer

davehyer New Member

I just finished a coyote open mouth shoulde rmount.The guy brings it in inFfeb, starts calling me in April. I explain that it will be a while, cape is still at tannery blah blah blah. Guy has called me at least 6 times and had 2 other people call me to see if it was done.

I finish it up and call him a few days ago. He says he will be there the next day, have not seen him or heard from him yet. Man that pisses me off!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Always in a damned rush and doesn't want to pay. He's payin ya back by making you wait for your money now! What a jackwad!

3. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Yup!! The ones that come by at supper time, call you every day for 2 weeks then you call them for pick up and they suddenly "don't have the cash right now" and the phone doesn't get answered 2 weeks after the pick up call.
    AWESOME!!!!
    I had never had that issue until this year.

4. The TRUELY best ones are the ones that bug you every week. You call them for Pickup... They get to your shop and say....... " Yep Looks Great!" And then proceed to tell you how broke they are and that they will be by in the next month to put "Some" Money on it...

Drives me freaking nuts..

5. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Ooooh- I especially love the ones who have to have it for their kid's Christmas gift so you sit in your shop ti 3 a.m. Christmas Eve to make it happen, no show Christmas morning and come September their contact info is no good and some kid is left with no mount! STILL!!

6. gab

gab Active Member

my favorite:drives up in a 2011 king ranch 350 diesel w/lift,wears an $8000(at least) watch,paid to shoot a trophy on one of the nicest high fence ranches(or just got back from africa)and now wants to know what kind of deal i can make him!AND once it's done,he's a little short this month and he'll get it when he can.

7. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

Re: Re: what kind of customers p_ss you off the worst?

The guy who calls every week to check on the status of his mount, then vanishes from existence when you call to tell him its ready.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

8. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

Ya,same storry all the time. Hey man--Ch. yr spelling--

9. Huntress

Huntress Member

I’m so mad at one customer right now I could just spit nails!
    The guy drops off a buck 3 years ago, takes 2 years to pay the deposit. I finish the mount right away and it’s been sitting here another year. He won’t return my calls so I ask a mutual friend what’s going on? He says the guy’s out of work. I said "That’s fine, have him call me…I have some work around the shop he can do!”

I had a storeroom and garage that needed to be cleaned out/organized and the grass needed to be mowed. Not hard work and he owes me $200 so I figured 8 hours…..$25 per hour!!! And a month later the &^^%$))(_%#@^%$ still hasn’t called me!! What is wrong with some people!!??

10. I sent him up the road to you!!!

11. John L

John L Active Member

Call him everyday until he comes and picks it up. OR If worse come to worse. Call him and tell him you have a buyer and if he doesn't contact you by tomorrow you assume he doesn't want it and will sell it.

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

Huntress, I would have something in your contract to be paid in 30 days. If not, it will be sold for the balance remaining. If I have to wait a year to get paid, I would have to close the doors.

13. If someone other than immediate family called checking on the mount, I would say Excuse me but is your name on the contract? OH No its not. so excuse yourself out of the business.

14. GySgt401

GySgt401 New Member

I have to go with the one who calls all the time than disappears when it is time to pay !

15. Huntress

Huntress Member

I do have the '30 day or sell' in the contract but the rack is so junky I'll never get the money out of it, and the guy is broke so calling every day won't help much. Been in business since the mid 80's and this is the first deer mount I've ever been stuck with. I'm just pizzed cause I bent over backward for this guy (even used a cape off a buck I shot because he let his rot).

I'll probably just reuse the form and cut the rack up for knife handles but I just don't understand how someone can owe money and not make ANY effort to contact you when offered a deal like I gave him.

Deep breath....ahhh. Thanks for letting me vent.

16. How about I go to school full time and work a job, support a family, do taxidermy part time as a hobby, and everyone wants a "I'm a friend of a friend..." discount. My family has lived here since 1755, of course you know somebody I'm related to. I guess that you worked with my 3rd cousin for two weeks one summer means that my free time that I spend doing your mount is worth nothing.

17. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I can't stand the people who call and want a price for something and say they want to come over and look at stuff, tell you they're putting your address in their GPS, pull up in a new very expensive truck next to my 1994 truck, say how much they love your stuff, but then say they can't believe how much it costs to have something mounted and try to talk you into doing it for half cost even though I explain how much the materials cost and that it costs what it costs. What makes so many people think I'll work for nothing? And they're not even friends!

18. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

The ones that take their stuff somewhere cheaper. LOL

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

What tics me off,,, is my damned cracked crystal ball that gives me the estimated due date of when the customers mount will be done,, it is never right,, maybe it needs calibration.

20. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

I charge freinds MORE than the rest of my customers.....this way when they find out they go down the road and I dont get asked for that "buddy deal" anymore. Obviously I am just kid'n, but I do NOT in any way give ANYONE a discount anymore, now the ones (freinds) that did get a discount in the past come back for it again and I so NOPE they can head right down the road with their cheap ass....instead of it saying sucker on my forhead it says arshole now I guess. I look at it this way, I get allot more mounts from the general public than freinds every year so the few I might lose because I dont do thiers for next to free I can be working on a paid mount instead. Cutting discounts for ANYONE IS JUST A STUPID MOVE ............allthough,on the other hand, the only exception to this rule is, I may do a free mount for someone with a terminal illness.......I get way more out of putting a smile on their face than a the few hundred I might put in my pocket!