1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what kind of customers p_ss you off the worst?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by davehyer, Sep 21, 2011.

1. I would say for me it would have to be the ones who fail to respond after initial call for pickup. I try and work with everyone. If money is an issue I rather make a payment plan than be stuck with something I do not want. I kind of have a zero tolerance when they fail to make an honest effort, and my contract is strictly adhered to.

I have also had people I have made exceptions for as far as drop off times. When they pull a no call no show I get grumpy. That being said, I assume it is because I am punctual for EVERYTHING. Maybe a little OCD going on, who knows... ;D

2. Matt i dont know what the law in your state is, but we have to wait 90 days in texas before we can sell, but you can implement a pick-up policy and late fees etc..

3. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

The famous, " What is your kid discount?" My answer is always I don't have one. I used to try all the discounts, specials, etc. I found out to just charge your price and move forward. None of that stuff helps business IMO.

4. The ones that bring their prissy wives in here, that get impatient and hold their nose, complaining about the smell, then proceed to tell them in front of their buddies that theyre gona be "hangin that damn thing in the garage"
    Drives me nuts, "eeeeeewwwwwww, it stinks in here" i just tell em it smells like money to me, lol

5. And what about the guys that come in, and say "well my wife wont let me hang em anywhere but the garage" etc...
    I mean come on guys ,pull your man card out, i had a cop tell me that crap one time, i was like "dude dont ever say that crap in the shop" lol and "how you gona protect and serve anything when you cant evn hang your damn mount where you want" "keep that stuff to yourself, lol, we dont wana know how big a puss our cops are" LOL

6. "What kind of customers p*ss you off the worst?"

Relatives, except one that has paid upfront for everything.

"Friends", this year when asked about the discount I will be telling them that anyone that thinks they are my friend has to pay up front and is charged an extra 10%. That way I can afford to buy my "friends" a drink when we're out!

7. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

Re: Re: Re: what kind of customers p_ss you off the worst?

Same issue here. Red stag with a crap rack. Been on the wall for almost 18 months now. Not a word from the customer.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

8. Ha ha. In that case it would be funny to see how many kids are killing big bucks.

9. jlf

jlf New Member

In my experiences the client that calls the most about their project is ALWAYS the client that needs about half a dozen phone calls to finally get them to pick it up. Doesn't make sense to me...

10. I did a trout for a guy's wife that was supposed to be a 2010 Christmas gift. He brought me three more fish and a bobcat to mount as well. Didn't leave a deposit (stupid me). I went ahead and did the trout. Guess where it is still hanging??? He asked me awhile back if I'd started on his cat and I told him I wouldn't until I had a deposit.

The economy does not help. Used to be, for every 10 mounts ready to be picked up, maybe one person would take their time picking their's up. Not anymore. It's more and more the other way around. Guess I will have to enforce the storage fee rule.

11. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I also hate the guy that has a frined that mounted a Deer one time and his friend is filling him full of stupid questions to ask. Do you tan your hides? What kind of eyes do you use? Blah blah blah.

You know by the way he asks the questions that he really has no idea what he is talking about.

12. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

Re: Re: what kind of customers p_ss you off the worst?

I don't mind mounting for friends. If they want it rushed I make them flesh/prep their own cape to my standards and assist me when I mount it...and no they do not get a discount. Surprisingly some of them actually do it...haha.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

13. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

How do you get them to do it? My friends usually pay full price for mounts, but for flat wall hanger hides I've had a lot of friends ask for discounts. I tell them to come skin it and I will show them how to do it right. I will do one paw and let them do the other three' I will do one ear and let them do the other. I tell them if they will do this, they will learn how to do it and I will do the hide at cost. So far, NO takers.

14. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

Let's see...

-The ones who leave me with a full tanned medium/large bear lifesize hide, and 870.00 due on tanned furs, because he lost his job. Oh and when he tells me about his job woes, he mentions a bunch of hunts he has booked. I have not heard from him in 2 years now.

-The ones who seem really honest and even lends me blind making materials , a shooting stick, and gives me lessons on breathing and being steady when taking the shot on a deer, then when it's time to pay, tell you they are going through a divorce. Oh yeah he wanted to buy that coyote shoulder mount I want 250.00 for, "can you hold it for me". He hasn't replied to my last pm to him, yet he makes posts at that forum still. I originally mounted the coyote to sell on ebay ( it's a bit half assed mounted, I didn't put the extras into it).

-The ones who mumble about my prices being too high, yet charges a real nice living wage for their home improvement services. And then says how great my work is vs this cheapo guy he used to use.

-The so called "men" who say they are bringing me their bear, and also bringing 5 buddies along who also have bears. We get the time and day all set up, and I can see this guy's house from here to boot. No show, won't answer the phone, never calls back. Great neighbor huh? Then I hear he is buddies with a guy who is upset about a trapping buddy of mine trapping a beaver on a property bordering the property the neighbor's friend has a duck hunting lease on. This guy really thinks the beavers will hang around 10 years after they first dammed the place up? Of course they head downstream and everytime it rains hard, their dam blows out and washes the neighbor's driveway away. That is why my buddy was trapping beavers. So I guess no 6 bears for me, all due to someone being an idiot when it comes to beaver biology and $$$ of driveway repairs by the neighbor downstream everytime there is a big rain. And what the heck do I have to do with this?

-Mennonites- they refuse to use me for taxidermy. They won't even discuss bear hunting with me, they actually get up and move away. My mom and I were invited to the 50th b-day party for a Mennonite lady she knows, we went, and I get men shunning me! They could be the bear hunters of my neighbor debacle, rather than the buddy of the guy who doesn't understand beaver biology and expensive driveway repairs.

-People on gun forums I frequent ALOT who shoot a huge buck not too far away from me, tell me they are bringing it to me, then pm me back that they took it somewhere else. He wanted a really good taxidermist. I wonder if he wanted a really low price too?

-Guys who sneak behind me with a bobcat and a coyote they got, and take it to another taxidermist, even though I tanned a fox for one of them, trapped on the farm the coyote was shot on, and have known the one guy's sister for probably 25 years for her garden center business she owns. The other taxidermist charges about the same as me, and work is about the same. I am only good enough to tan a fox? Well, at least I get all the foxes they shoot during the season. They give them to me rather than toss them like they used to. Oh and they are buddies of the beaver trapper guy.

-Cheapa$$es, so cheap he shoots a coyote in June and can't pay me 20.00 to clean the skull. But I got extra trapping land due to him. So what if the dried coyote head is still on his roof LOL. I also did a buck for him, and part of the deal was a slug gun, which is a pretty nice slug gun despite how much he complained about it LOL. This guy is the mildest case of customer annoyance, so I shouldn't complain.

Argg, feels good to vent!

15. :eek: :-X

I love all of my customers! Especially the ones that read on this forum!

16. damn and I thought I was the only one that happens to.

17. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

That one and the one that wants to tell me how to do my job. I want to say "if you know how to do it better, then do it yourself"

18. dozier

dozier New Member

Did a big bobcat jumping off beautifull driftwood catching a quail . A friend of a friend deal . He call's and call's . I did a top notch job. Just new he would love it . He walk's around the mount for about 10 minutes and then asked me where's the seam i cant find it where is it . His wife say's to him cat eye's dont look like that , then he wanted to under pay a half priced mount . That mount was sweet . That dude didnt know what he had . But acted like it was crap . Just went all over me . Have not done any buddy deal's since . Everyone pay's the same .