1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking for some ideas

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Matt, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt Active Member

Ok, so I have a good client that is wanting a bufflehead sorta flushing up off the water and I have a good pic of exactly what he wants. I thought about casting a clear rod out of resin to attach my splashes to as well as the bird. I have done a few splash scenes, but have yet to support a bird from one. Any thoughts from you bird junkies is greatly appreciated!

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

you can buy the clear acrylic rods Matt. I get mine from a local business, U.S. Plastics. You can get various diameters and its cheap. I know they ship all over the world so it should not be a problem getting what you want. Google US plastics.

3. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Hi Matt,Not sure if this is any help.I think Frank Newmyer shows attaching the acrylic rod to the duck. In the habitat video

4. Dreamwing

Dreamwing New Member

Matt
    Your on the right track. Buy an acrylic rod and cut a notch into the ends. This will give the bondo something to grab on to and your bird wont spin on the rod. Also on the other end the clear resin will bite into it to hold it. Attach your splashes on to the rod and coat the whole thing in resin.

5. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Matt don't forget buffle Heads and other diver take off differently than Puddle Ducks. You could anchor a foot while running take off.

6. X2~~~ Yep they got to run on the water before getting airborn

7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Yep Having it running on the water

[​IMG]

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Yes Tony and Wildthings, that is almost the pic I have, but he has both feet up as if he just got off the water with a good splash coming up under the bird. Thanks again guys.

9. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Buy the clear acrylic rods. WASCO carries them. Drill out a hole for it in the mannikin at the angle and location you wish it to exit. Use a heat gun to slightly melt the rod and "crimp" it with pliers to get it out of round. This will help disguise the rod. Then, put some hot glue in the hole in the mannikin and insert the rod. Once the glue has set, drill a hole through the mannikin and rod. Insert a wire through the mannikin and rod and anchor it by bending the ends over like you would when anchoring wing or leg wires. To attach the rod to the plexiglass base, heat the end with a heat gun and bend it to the proper angle. Flatten the end out by again heating and using pliers. Mount the bird and allow it to dry in a vise.

When you are ready to put the bird on the base, glue the bent flat end to the plexiglass with hot glue. Support the bill with a block of wood/foam/etc. Build your splash around the rod. When the artificial water of the splash has hardened, you can remove the support. If you've never done one of these, they require a TON of work. I charge $285 for a duck mount plus $350 for splash/base. Frank Newmyer's tape is an invaluable resource to use. It explains and shows the entire thing in great detail.

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

Thanks James, I appreciate the input. I have done some splash scenes before, but never actually using one to support the bird. I am glad it's a small bird!(LOL) For this type of work he will have 500.00 in just the small base/scene. Thanks again and I will post some pics when I get to it.