1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Official statement on Steve Favour's cause of death!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Superpig, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Dear fellow taxidermists,

Over the past 24 hours rumors have started to circulate about Steve's death. Heidi had wished to keep the reason of his death private but in order to nip these unsubstantiated rumors in the rear asked me to clarify the circumstances that led to his death. The official police report has called Steve's death an unfortunate accident. The automatic handgun involved, according to the police, is responsible for many such shootings each year due to chamber design and the tendency of bullets getting stuck there.

Steve was in his shop early in the morning as he always arrives early. While he was waiting for his employees to arrive he decided to clean the automatic pistol he had in his office. For whatever reason, we will never know whether Steve became distracted, wasn't quite awake and a bit careless or under the assumption he had already checked the chamber, the gun went off and hit him. His employee found him and called 911. Steve was still alive on his way to the hospital but they lost him in the emergency room. This has been a horrible accident and not as some have rumored a suicide. Steve had everything going for him and was very happy as of late as things just were good all over. He was the kind of person who always thought about others first and how actions would effect them. He loved his wife and children very much and would never have left them behind in such a manner. Steve had made plans for the future the night before during dinner, a visit out to our ranch, the upcoming hunting season which he thought would turn out pretty good. That alone shows that he was looking forward to the future not wanting to end it the next day. Please accept this statement as the official ruling of cause of death and honor Steve by honoring it and putting an end to the rumor.

I thank you all for reading and sending your thoughts and prayers to Heidi and the children. I will post any updates on memorial and funeral services as they become available as well when help will be needed down the road to keep the business going.

I have also started a tribute to Steve on Facebook. If you have a facebook account please visit Signature Taxidermy Studio and give the page a Like. I know he would appreciate this very much. Thanks to all who have been so supportive.

2. Damn! What a shame. I find it shameful for the jackasses that start the horrible rumors.

3. Thank you Evelyn.

4. Thanks Evelyn, unfortunately it goes to show that none of us are immune from accidents.

Keeping his family in our prayers and thoughts - God Bless Steve - The world has lost another great Artist.

Mac

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Thank you Evelyn for clearing it up.This is so sad. Please send his family our condolences. I'm sure this is VERY hard on them.

I think it was more a case of people just being people. You know how it is, somebody sees somebody else sneeze and next thing you know everyone thinks that person has a cold because the story gets either misinterpreted or confused, or even exaggerated. I don't think anyone meant any harm. At least I "hope" they didn't.

6. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I had a friend to die from a bullet in the chamber of an "empty" semi-auto pistol some 20 years ago. Happened very similar to this story about Steve. To this day I still own only revolvers. :(

7. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Life is precious. Live it well, love your family, friends, and neighbor. Prayers to the family.

8. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

So sad to hear. When you hear someone has passed unexpectedly, your mind starts to ask why and how. It is human nature to wonder. Let this be a lesson to all of us about how we handle our firearms. It is easy to get complacent and take safety for granted. Again, my condolences to Heidi and family.

9. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

Thank you Evelyn for clearing that up....Truly tragic, and i feel for the FAMILY and all of us who now go on without such a FINE HUMAN BEING as Steve...

10. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

Hate to hear it guys. He was a very nice person.

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

He will be missed not only as a Taxidermist, but also as a good man and friend.

12. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Thanks Evelyn.

13. yelper

yelper Do or Do Not.... There is no try

GA
    Damn........................

14. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

Just keep good ol gun safety in mind.1- Drop the mag then -2 check the chamber, all while pointing in a safe direction. You can do this safety drill over and over with a gun you have already properly cleared and is unloaded. You will know you did it backwards as the slide will lock back with an empty mag in. Also keep the damn fingers away from the trigger. You do the drill often enough, it becomes muscle memory.

Remember, even unloaded guns are always loaded! That's the best way to treat it. I hear all too often about "gun people" who forget the basic safety rules for some reason, and get ND's, or worst ND's as in this case.

15. Prayers sent and God Bless.

16. Thanx Ev for putting that out there , Steve will truely be missed , I was planning to visit Steve on a trip out west we had talked about it a couple of times, Steve was a truely genuine good hearted person . thanx again , ED SPAIN

17. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

What was his handle here at taxinet? I often know people from forums more by their internet names than their real names.

18. BEAVERS

BEAVERS New Member

I believe it was "SFavour"

19. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

As someone who has lived through a self inflicted gunshot from a negligent discharge, I cannot stress the importance of Gun safety. I did not know Steve, but am good friends with many of you whom were close to him. Do not let his accident be in vain. Take a gun safety course, don't be afraid to jump people's asses when you see them do something unsafe, uducate yourself and all those around you, don't just try to blaim it on a design flaw and move on because just like a hammer wont drive a nail by itself, a gun will never just go off by it'self , it is always human error.

20. brelo

brelo Winchester

We will keep his family and friends in our prayers.