1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pro 1 Vs. 555

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by HunterBrowning, Sep 25, 2011.

1. HunterBrowning

HunterBrowning New Member

Im on the fence about which hide paste to use.... Pro 1 or the 555. I have read up on both, and know they are similar in price....
    Does anyone want to throw in their 2cents if they have any experience with either or both. Thanks

2. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Pro 1 is a hidepaste.. 555 is a wallpaper adhesive..

Pro 1 is by far the most superior product I have used.

3. I have used both, 555 is great and does a good job. Pro 1 is far superior and holds a lot better in my opinion. And they are not the same price, there was an earlier post for Home Depot selling 5 gallons of 555, online purchase only, with free shipping, for just around $80.00. I have been using both on my lifesize Bears, the Pro 1 around the head and ears, and the 555 on the body. Figured I could save a little doing it that way.

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

I have used the 555 for about 7 years now, and have had no perfomance problems with it what so ever. I have used it on everything from African to the shortest haired wt you can have. Superior tack, but ample working time. While it was introduced as a floor adhesive, it is an excellent hide adhesive.

5. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I have been using the 555 for going on 11 years now & love it ! I cant say anything about the Pro 1 because I have never used it, never thought about it because I have been happy with what I use.
    I don't know if Paul came up with his recipe from scratch for his Pro 1 or not but I can tell you that alot of "hide pastes" out there were originally developed for other fields or industries long before being "introduced" into the taxidermy industry as a "hide paste".

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

That cracks me up. Someone is going to badmouth an adhesive because it is a "wallpaper adhesive" and the try to tell me how great Bondo is. ROTFLMAO. Very few things we use didn't start someplace else.

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I like the 555. I also like MP's Dynamite 111 mix. I've used his recipe on 555 and it worked great too.

8. v.fleming

v.fleming New Member

Pro1................

9. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

I use both, but I believe Pro 1 is superior as well. I use pro 1 around the face and head on most mounts, and 555 on the rest. sometimes I use latex caulk as well!

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Can I ask a silly question? Why do you guys use TWO types of hide paste on a mount? I could never figure that out. If one works well on the "face" wouldn't it work as well on the neck? Is there some advantage of buying TWO separate hide pastes versus using one by itself? I don't pay anything for my hide paste as I build it into the cost the customer has to pay for the mount so I use the BEST paste I'm satisfied with over the complete mount.

11. verne

verne Well-Known Member

I like pro 1 better ; but would go back to buckeye or 555 if it be came unavailable.

12. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Who mentioned Bondo George? The way I see it so far is you have 4 for pro 1, 3 for 555..

13. alexm

alexm New Member

555 Love it

14. 555 for me but never used pro 1 never needed to.

15. where can you buy pro 1 hide paste?

16. http://pro1performancechemicals.com/Feature_Products.html

I am on my second purchase of this stuff. It is so much easier to use than McKenzie or Buckeye and holds almost like a two part epoxy. I did a wildebeest with it and it gave me 3 days working time, bagging the head each night then on the forth and fifth days its had sucked the skin to the form.

17. redog76

redog76 New Member

Never used 555, but I can assure you won't be disappointed with the pro-1. Their whole line of chemicals is awesome, especially the tan and glue.

18. I have used both now and the only issue I had with the 555 is sometimes it left the hair with a tacky feeling after drying. Then I had to spend time cleaning it off. Not sure why it did it on only about 20% of the heads.
    So far I like the pro 1 no issues at all after 9 wt heads and a squirrel.

19. Hoosiertaxman

Hoosiertaxman Papa's Pride & Joy

Been using 555 since Matt told me about its tack and working time.... no complaints

20. BMHET

BMHET Member

555 for me.