1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Scalpels

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by djw58, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Well my first raccoon was an experience it looks good from a distance... a far distance. I didn't get the lips turned right and the eyes didn't have enough skin to tuck but it was fun. Now I started skinning the second raccoon I had in the freezer and started using a scalpel, I also learned just how sharp they are. Cut myself and didn't even know it til I saw the blood, changed gloves and finished skinning...more later.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Here is a tip, WHEN you drop a scalpel knife, do NOT try to catch it, and move your feet out of the way fast, let it drop to the floor. It will stick where ever it lands.

3. Listen to this |:

Ow my toes.

4. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

unless it lands on concrete then it might break. :)

5. tem

tem Well-Known Member

good advice. and reamber. the scalpel always wins.

6. blingbait

blingbait New Member

Texas
    i'd like to know how your coons turn out! I am VERY new to all this, and so far I have skinned 3 coons. they can be tricky! I have also skinned 1 bobcat, a wood duck and some doves. I just got my first order in from McKenzie today, and ordered two different types of scalpels, because the exacto thing just isn't working for me anymore....

7. maydeer

maydeer New Member

Order straight fom havels, its cheaper. also wear a protective glove, Most taxidermists say there too bulky, but after many stiches you learn to adapt. I can't skin without mine now.

8. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

i have used scalpels for some things but here is what i do I go to the auto parts store and buy razor blades you get 100 of them for like 3 bucks. Scalpels are good for the really delicate areas on the birds and the eyes on animals but hey are a little pricey and you have to order a lot of them cuz they get dull fast and you change them a lot. razor blades are cheep you can use both sides and get rid of the when they get dull i also like to bend them just a little but be careful they are sharp and the do cut human skin. It takes some getting used to but that is what i do plus if you run out you can get them at walmart all night long

9. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

I have had a lot of luck with a exacto/scalpel knife. It is an all aluminum body that allows you to change the blades out on. I use a rounded point scalpel it works really good especially on the skinning the head all the way through all the facial fleshing. It is my go to tool but then again i have only done three coons. I also like how you can change the blades out fast when they get dull. you can get it at any hobby lobby.

10. trky

trky New Member

X2 with pappagoose on razor blades. You can get close, with good control with those sharp corners

11. eb226

eb226 Member

If someone would invent a cut resistant latex glove the taxidermist would probably make them rich. LOL --O yea the longer you do taxidermy work the less you will cut yourself, im down to about 3 to 5 cuts a month LOL. When I started it was a joke between me and my friend that started taxidermy about the same time. We would text pictures back and forth of the cuts we would get. Funny but not funny,

I think scalpels are the way to go.

12. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

I have never used gloves and since I have been messing around with skins and tanning I have got four warts on my hands. do you think they are from not using gloves?

13. eb226

eb226 Member

I have not had any issue with warts but if I handle any hides during or even after tanning my hand will peel somewhat and look bad. So I wear gloves now all the time. Think of this too- think of what chemicals that are in the tanning stuff and all the diseases and whatnot that could be transmitted through animal fluids. Oyea and your hands will be alot easier to clean off when your done = lol, one of the main reasons I wear gloves.

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I think warts are the LEAST of your worries. Why would anyone chance septic poisoning or staff infection not to mention psoriasis because they're too cheap to buy and wear gloves. I use dozens of scalpel blades every day and they don't cost me a cent. My customers pay for them in what I charge. I believe the right tool for the right job and Exactos and razor blades don't fit that bill.

15. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

I did not know that you could be in trouble of catching those types of problems. I just never wore gloves because i did not think what i was touching was nasty or gross. I guess I am going to have to buy some boxes of gloves. Thanks for the information.