1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Broadhead wound?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by buckmaster14, Sep 26, 2011.

1. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

Got these pics on my trail cam.... it appears to be a wound on the back of this fawn.... what do yall think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Might have gotten hung up on a barb going under a fence, doubt it is a broadhead wound. That would be my guess.

3. buckmaster14

These pics were taken pretty close to houses. We dont have barb-wire fences for at least a mile, they are the smooth wire electric fences around here... mainly horse pasture. Plenty of hunters surround this area tho... (5 that i know of.)

4. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

broadhead at that part of the back that deep would have severed the spinal column and that deer would be down dead already. I think the barb wire or Eagle talon grab maybe.

5. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

not always, got proof of that ;) hit a piebald button buck high and 3 weeks later it was out running around again :eek: month or so later I finally got it and you can see where I hit it before.

6. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Who knows, its amazing what they can take and just keep on going.

7. krusher167

krusher167 New Member

is it legal to shoot a fawn with spots out there, in wisconsin its illegal...

8. buckmaster14

Have never heard that you couldnt... i tend to let them grow up a little more before i shoot them tho... they dont have much meat on them this time of year.

9. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

Most Southern states will allow you to shoot damn near anything, and many hunters, especially in my area, like to apply that right as often as possible. Season opened Saturday here, and I already have taken in 3 fawns and a lactating doe for mounting. I'd hate to think of what they shot that they didn't want to mount.
    Oh well, business is business I reckon. If that's what they want, that's what they'll have.

10. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

The spinal cord is at least 3 inches deep or more. People think it is close to the top of the back but it is not.

11. litefeather

litefeather New Member

It looks swollen what ever it is.

12. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

That deer is swollen you bet andthat spinal column is hurting on that deer for sure. The bone is at the top just under that hide and the backstrap meat is on both sides of that. I have killed three ormore bow kills with that same wound and they all were spinal hits, down they went. That deer is humped up really bad like it's back is hurting from spinal injury. Next time you cut into your deer there Greg you will see how close to the spinal cord is to the back bone. Any injury like arrow or bullet to the back bone is sudden death. I have killed many this way, they drop in there tracks. Soon as you crack that back bone that deer is down crawling around like a crab all about.

13. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

IF....you fracture the bone enough that it affects the cord. Gunshots almost always. Broadheads are hit or miss. I agree though that the little deer is hurting. May be a tumor or broadhead or vehicle collision.

Attached Files: