1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Land line, cell phone or both for your business.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by NAV, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Land line

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  2. Cell Phone

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. Both Land Line and Cell Pnone

23 vote(s)
    46.0%
  1. NAV

NAV Frontier Taxidermy

I have a land line and a cell phone for my shop and they are both used regularly during the hunting season. The problem with the land line during the off season, it's just solicitor after solicitor and I get kinda tired of messing with them. I'm curious as to how many have just cell phones or both. I'm contemplating getting rid of the land line and going strictly to a cell phone. Plus, the land lines are too expensive these days!

Nav

2. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I cut the cord years ago. What I recommend is Google Voice. Google Voice allows you to have a virtual number. That is a phone number that doesn't ring to any particular place. You go on the Google Voice site and tell it where to ring. I have mine set to ring to my cell phone. You can also set it to not ring at all (straight to voicemail) or you can have it ring your mobile and landline at the same time. You get full control over it. During the off season, you could have your Google Voice go straight to voicemail so you don't have to deal with telemarketers. That way, your mobile is still available for friends and family to call you. With Google Voice, you can give out one number and have it dial where ever you are. Try it. It is free.

3. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

I have both land line and cell. All of my advertising is to the land line. Now days, about 80% of the phone calls on the land line are telemarketers of one type or another. We are considering going to just cell phones, but we have so many years involved with the land line, so we hesitate. The land line cost is not really a factor in our little town.

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

My land line rings in both the shop and the home, but most contact me though my cell as I rarely answer the land line. I would get rid if it in a second, but my wife also runs a business and her clients reach her through it so I guess we are keeping it!(LOL)

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

All of my land line calls are call-forwarded to my cell phone. I need the land line for (1) Yellow page listing, (2) FAX machine, and (3) Credit card machine. I get 1-2 telemarketers daily.

6. Call phone only.I can call pick up my phone anywhere and anytime.Text messages keep intouch with my clients.Mail the pictures on work progress on their cell phones.Send pictures of the manikins to see if they like and OK with the alter before i work on.Don't have to come to the shop.Send pictures after skins on and waiting to dry and let 'em know their mounts about to be done in a few weeks.If I'm a customer i hate to see 2 years after i dropped of my deer a taxidermist calls from out of nowhere and says
    "Hey your mount is done come pick it up".

7. NAV

NAV Frontier Taxidermy

James,
    This is an option I didn't know was out there. I'm taking it your telemarketing calls are minimal? I like the option of the land line and have had it since I started but hate the hassel with unwanted calls.

Joeym,
    I have but don't use a fax because of scanner and e-mail. At this point I dont use credit cards so I'm leaning more to just getting rid of the land line after this seasons rush is over. A land line here is nearly $100 a month.

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I have accounts with 2 different phone companies. I think our total monthly bill is ~$300 for the land line (commercial account) and 4 cell phones with every available option....sad, but true.

9. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Signing up on the National No call list will elliminate most of the telemarketers.

10. NAV

NAV Frontier Taxidermy

I have done that twice in the last year. It stops for about a month then its back to normal. They don't care, cuz most of them have numbers that you can't call back on and the phone company says there is nothing you can do to contact them. So when they call back day after day they hear whistles, and that particular caller stops.

11. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

The No Call list is only for private residential/cellular numbers. Business numbers are exempt from the No Call List. I still get solicitations. Usually no more than 2 or 3 per week.

12. In our area, you can have your cell number listed in the yellow pages. Contact your yellow pages reps. Also, you can be set up for an online CC machine and do all that through your computer. I wish someone would come up with a way to send wireless faxes. I often email documents instead of fax them.

13. I have only a cell phone and have three businesses run off it: taxidermy, hydrographics and farm. I've been answering 'Myers' Ark' but when someone calls, I have no idea which they are calling about. It would be nice to set up separate numbers for each down the road, with some way to let me know which they are calling about. While the farm and taxidermy share the same name, the hydrographics division is called HYDROStylz, so when I answer "Myers' Ark" it confuses them (and rightly so). But just answering 'hello' doesn't come off as being professional.

14. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

Land line only, when I get a telemarketer I just hang up.

15. DL

DL Well-Known Member

If someone doesn't answer in 2 seconds I hang up.

16. Just one phone.I don't talk to much on the phone and when friends call takes about 3 -4seconds.It's guys things.And i always know when friends call by look at the #and name if the# I've never seem before I'll answer like "Hello Mikes taxidermy"Or"The Taxidermy Studio"

17. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Both here.

18. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

X2

19. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

The No Call list also does not apply to non-profits. They are the only ones who ever call me. I get one, maybe two a week, plus the one or two I hang up on before they connect to me.
    Landline only, cell service is not the best here, though possible.