1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

new to taxidermy

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by vinyari, Sep 28, 2011.

1. vinyari

vinyari New Member

heya everyone,
    as stated above I am brand new to taxidermy, just been lurking around here, doing lots of reading, have already bought a set of videos, from Bill Atkins, I presently have a couple friends collecting ducks for me and should be able to get my hands on between 12 and 24 ducks easily. This is how I plan on starting, mounting ducks and lots of them, then my plan is to move on to coyotes, etc.

I am a finishing carpenter by trade so I do have alot of tools, I also use to paint minitures for a pass time quite a few years ago, and I use to paint houses comercially, so I know my way around paint equiptment both big and small. with that said i don't own an air brush, but am fairly handy with a paintbrush.

the big question i am getting to is..... what would you guys suggest I invest in for "necessary" tools? ie bird flesher?

oh and one more question, I have a Van Dykes catalogue, the watco and mckenzie ones should be on there way, ......where do you guys suggest I buy supplies and equipment from?

thanks
    Randy

2. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Most are good locations for purchases. If your really serious about this, yes get you a flesher, or build your own, there are several topics on this site concerning this. As far as tools you already have everything you really need I am pretty sure. Get you a good video and just go at it

Dux rule, haha

duxdown

3. taxidermycollector

taxidermycollector I am in Europe, sooo no need for Uncle Sam's regs

I would invest in lessons from one of the guys here that are local to you. You will learn more in those sessions that no video can really teach you. That is what I would do / done in the past. Not sure of the rates but 225-350 per day springs to mind, and given that would be 15 years plus experience from the teacher that is CHEAP

4. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Any of those companies are good and all owned by the same people. You will probably order something from all of them. I order from mc Menzies because it gets to me the next day. Continue to stay active in this forum and become a sponge! Read all the wingtips, they are really useful. While we are on the subject, the wingtip about sewing up the skinning incision befor fleshing is invaluable. I do this on every duck and it makes fleshing a million times easier!! Not to mention it keeps the feather side cleaner. It only takes a couple minutes to sew it up. Thanks Wingman!!!!

5. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Here you go.
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,208534.0.html

6. JustinNH

JustinNH New Member

Are you getting the 12-24 at once or spread out throughout this coming season? Since you are a beginner like I am, be careful of possession limits (vary by state) until you get your federal licence for waterfowl taxidermy.

You can also check with your state to see what counts as possession. I asked someone in my state a long time ago and skins were not considered part of the limit, so you could also skin them as they come in to avoid that (and then freeze for a later point in time). When in doubt, check with the fish and game officers.

7. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Skins are considered part of your limit according to most. Use caution.

8. vinyari

vinyari New Member

thanks for all the replies guys, they are appreciated,

I am from canada so our regulations will be different but I will phone the local fish and game / wild life officer and find out about limits
    as for how many I will be getting at any one time, I have no idea but I have two differnt guys getting me water fowl, and another guys trying to get me some chickens (grouse, phesant, etc)

I didnt realize my location wasn't showing up on my profile so I changed it now everyone can see I'm from Alberta Canada.

thanks for the heads up on the wingtips, those are the next things I will be reading

do any of you know if issues arrise from trying to bring chemicals across the border? or should I just try to get them from a local venue??

thanks
    Randy

9. taxidermycollector

taxidermycollector I am in Europe, sooo no need for Uncle Sam's regs

Here is a quick google search of taxidermists in Alberta Canada. One of them surely would take your money and teach you. Best investment you will get

TOP NOTCH TAXIDERMY, Alberta, "Taxidermist-KEVIN WIEBE ...www.topnotchtaxidermystudio.com/Cached - Similar
    You +1'd this publicly. Undo
    Top Notch Taxidermy is located in. Coaldale, Alberta CANADA. Our studio is visibly situated along the main HWY 3. We're located sixty miles north of the ...
    ►Shaw Taxidermy, Cardston, Alberta, Canadashawtaxidermy.net/index.htmCached- Block all shawtaxidermy.net results
    Not helpful? You can block shawtaxidermy.net results when you're signed in to search.shawtaxidermy.net
    Shaw Taxidermy is a family owned business, combining over 25 years experience. Having specialized mostly in bird taxidermy, we have now expanded our ...
    Shaw Taxidermy, Cardston, Alberta, Canadashawtaxidermy.net/pricelists.htmCached
    Shaw Taxidermy is a family owned business, combining over 25 years ...
    Show more results from shawtaxidermy.netTaxidermy Alberta Taxidermist Calgary Taxidermy & Canadian ...www.bruintaxidermy.com/Cached - Similar
    12 Sep 2011 – Christopher J. Shandro, Calgary, Alberta Taxidermist of Bruin Taxidermy. Offering game head mounts, mammal taxidermy, fish taxidermy, ...
    Alberta Taxidermy| Mountain View Taxidermy| Best Alberta Wildlife ...www.mountainviewtaxidermy.com/Cached - Similar
    We accept both Visa, MasterCard and Interac. MOUNTAIN VIEW TAXIDERMY LTD. 6312 46th STREET OLDS, ALBERTA, CANADA, T4H 1M6. Phone 403.556. ...
    Summit Taxidermy in Alberta, Canadawww.summittaxidermy.com/ - United StatesCached - Similar
    Calgary area Taxidermist in Alberta, Canada offering forms and supplies as well as taxidermy.

10. JustinNH

JustinNH New Member

Yeah, all the more reason to check. Different states, different wardens... all have different opinions on federal laws, etc.

Even some trapping and hunting laws are left up to interpretation of the officer (in NH a 330 must be in the water. Some say submerged, some say as long as a part of it is in the water. Even in my trapping class the two officers had different opinions!)

11. babak

babak Active Member

send a PM to falco a nice guy from canada,i think he's living in alberta,perhaps he can guide you more.

12. vinyari

vinyari New Member

hey guys talked to the local game warden and in alberta you can only keep 24 ducks at once, so now I know, lol
    and Babak, as for falco, I'll look him up thanks

13. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Welcome.

14. vinyari

vinyari New Member

thanks

15. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

my first bird flesh er was a grinder with a wire wheel i got at a hardware store then i put a sewing machine peddle on it to control the speed it worked for me until i graduated to the real Thia. here is a list of the things you will have to have, a place that the stink wont kill you when you are done, a good dog/cat to talk too when you are in that place late at night, a kid to bring you cold um soda, a radio to have some tunes, a microwave for the supper your wife cooked and you didn't get a chance to eat cuz you were in the middle of something when it was hot. I also have a clock that it always on 10 so i think i will get some sleep at night so i can get to work the next day. A good supply of practice birds be fore you start doing them for somebody. But on a more serious not make sure your check to see if you need a licence to do the taxidermy in Minn you do. And have a lot of fun doing it that what it is about remember pleasure in your work makes it worth while good luck

16. vinyari

vinyari New Member

great reply papagoose; I can appreciate the humor. and yes I do need a licence to do taxidermy, but not if it's only for my own purposes so right now I don't need one, won't be doing anything for anyone else until I get good at it, until that time I can do found dead animals, raod kill and ANY animal i kill with the proper licence or any animal anyone else kills with a proper licence as long as I keep track of the licences and the anilmals were gifted to me. I've done my home work on the great advice from people on here.

Randy

17. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Welcome to Taxi Net

18. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

glad you enjoyed it welcome and good luck