1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer to moose?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by HunterBrowning, Sep 28, 2011.

1. HunterBrowning

HunterBrowning New Member

I'm set up for mounting primarily deer right now and that's where most of my knowledge is...
    I was just contacted by a friend about mounting a moose. Besides a much bigger stand and head room, does anyone have any (serious) 2cents about transitioning from mounting a deer... To a moose?!

2. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Thats like going to the car dealer and sitting in a Kia.. then jumping in a F350 super duty..

Moose are HUGE..PERIOD.. a deer cape takes 30-40 min tops to turn and flesh.. a moose is 4-5 hours for a average one.. their nostrils are the size of softballs.. the cartilage is a 1/4" thick and 18" long by 5-7" tall.. their lips are 5" thick, meat around the eye is about as much meat as you get off a deer cape.. they weight 50 lbs green, 75 lbs when taken out of a rehydration bath. length of cape from nose to back can be in excess of 7' long.. Putting a moose form on a normal mounting stand will crumple it like a trailer park in a tornado.. I can go on..

3. Don

Don New Member

Charge LARGE!! Workload 5 deer = 1 moose

4. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Anyone who does them has to have a starting point, but as was already pointed out, they are BIG and HEAVY. They are a LOT of work. Attaching the horns is a major. Get it right or you will have more problems than you could imagine. You will need help getting the skin on the manikin. Everything has to be done in HEAVY DUTY mode. Give it a shot, but amp up your equipment and game plan before you do. GL

5. Jeff Z

Jeff Z New Member

Here
    I just mounted my first after 30 years Ìn the biz. It was a pain Ìn the butt. Deer take me 3 hours to mount, this took 7.

6. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

the basics are the same, you shouldnt have any problems... reference... u should get at least $1500...

7. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Just fleshed, turned and salted another moose yesterday.. Its 5 hours anyway you cut it.. Another one to do tonight.. As Ryan said.. Minimum of 1500.00,

8. Scott Musgrave

Scott Musgrave Little Wildcat Creek Taxidermy, Sharpsville, IN.

If you have a good quality Floor Stand you should be ok. the rack will weigh approximately 40-50 lbs alone.. beef up your equipment.. and plan on everthing taking 3x longer than a whitetail.. Tim is right don't try it alone.. you will need and assistant. even if they do nothing but hold shit for you.

9. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

The first moose I ever mounted broke the welds on my mounting stand lol.

10. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

There are people on this site that advertise doing moose for $650.00. WOW

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

Call me crazy, but I like doing them. They are ALOT of work, but if you charge for your time, you will make money like you should. I do several of them every season and get 1800 for them. It's funny that you say that Ron, I lost an elk to the guy down the road, he does them for 550!! I laughed when I heard that! Some people will never get it, guess that's why they don't do it full time.

12. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Make that an F350 Crew Cab LMAO I love the way you put that though LOL