1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oil Eater(Incredible stuff)Pics added

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by speedbuggy, Sep 29, 2011.

1. StickinEm

StickinEm Member

Anybody else used this stuff? I got some and have been soaking a stubborn whitetail in it for about four days now. It hasn't seemed to pull any grease out yet.

2. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

Any updates on this? Has anyone tried to gently heat it to 110-115 degrees?

3. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    updates ...

4. So Sea wolf if we are to avoid peroxide what would be the best route? maybe putting back in the dawn and water mixture for a couple days or just washing the skull off?

5. Oil Eater is fully water soluble, so a good rinse and then soak in water for 24 hours should make a skull safe for peroxide.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

That would be what I would try. Just to make sure it is all out or at least not enough left to react.

There are people that like to add peroxide to their degreasing solutions. I would highly advise that you do NOT do this using this product.

7. b.carlson

b.carlson New Member

try anything on this planet, nothing you can legally possess, will degrease skulls better and faster, than lacquer thinner. the cheap wash thinner. tested everything, Jay at skulls unlimited will agree. Later, Bruce.v.carlson@gmail.com

8. CA Trapper

CA Trapper Member

How come more people don't use the laquer thinner? Does the smell go away?

9. b.carlson

b.carlson New Member

Lacquer thinner is very hazardes. Flammable, & can soak into your body by way of your hands. It melts grease. Also helps melt rhe cottage cheese like fats that form from long soaking in rot tanks. Long soaking ( 6 months ) the bacteria eats alot of the grease..say a LG. Alligator, or a coastal.fish eating brown bear. These are better suited doing beetles, than soaking in lacquer thinner for degreasing 6 months, switching two to three times ending up with you cleanest thinner. Also lacquer thinner leaves no smell, while acetone leaves a sweet rotten smell. Not good. Later b.carlson.

10. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I would have to disagree with acetone leaving a smell. I use it frequently. It is highly volatile and rapidly evaporates leaving no smell or residue of any sort. I have many skulls soaked for long periods in straight acetone. There is no odor at all .. of any type.

11. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

X2 on acetone leaving no smell.

12. RKG

RKG New Member

Right. Acetone evaporates entirely, leaving no residue, and therefore no smell

13. I picked up a gallon of oil eaters yesterday gonna give it a try. Has anybody tried heating it yet?

14. Blue Tick

Blue Tick New Member

Does the lacquer thinner damage the bone?

15. Blue Tick

Blue Tick New Member

I haven't tried heating it, but it seems to do pretty good on it's own as is. Maybe the OP will chime in here.

16. Redhot

Redhot New Member

I like the sounds of this. A lot. I would love to hear from some more people who have tried it...

17. Bought some today. Now I just need a spare skull

18. I'm gonna try it as soon as this flu wears off. . .

19. had a racoon skull that was sitting around. put it into a small plastic jug. added roughly 2 oz of oil eater.............seems to be pulling out the grease after 3 days. will change it out a few more times and let everyone know what happens!

20. I'm working on a degrease tank right now so I haven't tried heating it. I seem to be getting good results using cold but I too am interested in seeing if it works better heated.