1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First mount

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by fourrifles, Sep 29, 2011.

1. I tried posting this in the beginners section but don't think the photos were done right. This is my first mount; admittedly the pictures are poor quality but any critique I can get will be welcome. I'll be mounting the bird to a shelf via a wire out the back, so he is landing in a cut cornfield. Hope the pics work and I get some comments.

Thanks,

Ron

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wings II

wings II New Member

That's a lot of work right there. Very good for your first one! Best Regards and keep at it. :)

3. Thanks for the encouragement! I learned a lot of valuable lessons on this and can't wait to acquire my next project.

4. JustinNH

JustinNH New Member

Nice for a first bird! Check the Beginners forum. James Parrish was kind enough to critique my second bird and I learned a lot from it. As far as I know, he is still accepting birds to critique. There is a thread about it.

5. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

Good job for the first

6. crittrstuffr2aol.com

crittrstuffr2aol.com Making hunting memories last a lifetime.

First off you picked one heck of a specimen for your first bird. The head neck junction looks a little ruff and the under wing feather grooming needs some attention( tape them in place till they dry and a shot of caulk will help). Now for the good with the bad part. The attitude balance and head /neck to body and the feet positions are very good. lots of potential in the future if you sick with it. The positioning and attitude of the bird is sometimes the hardest part. . . . I think you've got it figured out already.

7. Thanks for the advice. Had a heck of a time with the neck, it was very tight. Grooming has been the toughest part for me so far, but I have had no training yet so I expected errors. Took me a while to find the pose I wanted, finally found some good reference pics. Now, on the the base!

8. WV Outdoorsman

WV Outdoorsman New Member

Im new to taxidermy as well and wouldn't even attempt to critique anything. But I think it turned out great!!! I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to preen all of those feathers. You are off to a great start in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

WVO

9. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

big bird to pick for your first one....keep up the good work and make sure to use all the referance you can get your hands on....

10. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

the head looks a little full i think the rest seems to look ok good job a keep up the good work

11. I've managed to get the feathers to lay down on the head/neck area a bit better. Still not happy with the grooming but seem to have hit a wall on that. On to the habitat and base now! Thanks to everyone for the input. It's like my first bow-killed deer; I'm totally hooked now. Can't wait for my next mount; saw some beauty grouse last weekend and would love to try one of them!

12. babak

babak Active Member

x2

it's very nice for first attempt my friend Ron,keep good work.

13. Well, I finally finished my first mount. My friend (the guy that killed the bird) is pretty happy with it. I know the grooming is kinda poor, but I did what I could with my abilities. Give me your best critiques on this...any input good or bad will be appreciated.

Ron

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. babak

babak Active Member

Ron,after few adjustments,it looks better right now . no more handling,just start your second and use you experience of your first on it. keep good job my friend.

15. Did you do the base?

16. Yeah, had some cedar left over from my last trip to Missouri. That stuff is pretty pricey here in Oregon. Got my taxidermy and habitat lessons all in one.

17. This mount was a gift from a friend; he unselfishly allowed me to practice on this awesome specimen. I delivered it yesterday and he is very happy with it. I want to thank all the members that posted comments and helped me make this mount work. It's hanging in his living room now, and I'm just happy he is satisfied enough to display it. Thanks again to all the taxinet members!

Ron

18. babak

babak Active Member

Ron
    good,glad to hear that,
    babak.