1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how about this mckenzie pack job!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ryanolson72, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Has anyone called McKenzie about the problem. I haven't experienced the problem yet but I would definitely call and place a complaint if I paid way over on the shipping.

2. Which distribution location are you guys getting your supplies from? Could be an isolated problem.

3. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

I did make a phone call and I got a great voice on the other end that sounded sympthetic but no credit has been issued. I also have a phone call into Tom Powell. This is really not even about the cost to be honest with you. It is just about the overall falling apart at the seams since they have expanded. I am not going to spend hours on the phone over a $20 bill, with that being said, how much do we spend, as an industry, each year to ship air?

Anyone want to see what was in the box labeled small parts enclosed :) ?....

[​IMG]

4. bw

bw New Member

I had that problem several times a few years ago. Each time I would call, and they would credit my acct for the difference in shipping. Eventually they put a note on my file.... "Per customer, please pack items as tightly as possible to save on shipping"

It is printed on every invoice I get from them. And I haven't had a problem since.

5. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

You see Outwoods, McKenzie's does give a Cats @ss!

6. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

there were gas stations out here that were over charging .3 of a cent per gallon...Not MUCH per customer in "gouging", yet the ANNUAL reap of the gouged funds were quite enourmous. Corporate worlds think that way. Now, im not saying Mckenzie is along these lines,,,,,but it could very easily seem that way.

7. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

I did get a call back from Chad Davis and I was explained the situation. I do understnad their point of view of not wanting to ship in a small box due to damage. Also, they charged me for the smaller of the two boxes and not for the full size of the box. I do believe that the issue has been resolved and explained and it will be water over the back. He also made a note on my account to pack the boxes tight.

8. JustinNH

JustinNH New Member

I buy 90% of my stuff through them and every time it is strange and/or bad packing. I used to work in a warehouse that could be equated with the products they sell and poor is a nice way to describe their packing. Good service besides that though...

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

That's funny. Sorta like having to remind some people to inhale and exhale on a regular basis. (J/K Mickenzie folks!!!! Wouldn't want one of your packaging folks to wipe boogers all over my next items ordered - lol!)

10. LOL

11. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

you got to keep calling them and bitch....it may or may not make a difference but if enough of us do bitch loudly something might happen

12. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

I fully understand McK trying to cut down on damage claims, it's good for them and the customer, but come on. This is how 2 panels were sent. Ridiculous.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is one of several reasons why McK is no longer my "one stop shop".

13. bw

bw New Member

I thought the same thing the first time I saw it printed on my invoice!!!!

14. tas

tas New Member

I just got a beaver form in a box a foot taller and one of the back legs was broke off no happy

15. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I'll bite! ;D I see nothing wrong with them making money on the "handling" portion of things TO AN EXTENT.......but the examples shown here are exuberant and should be looked at. Not only is it costing US more money, but also there. Any money they are making on shipping and handling is most definately being wasted back on improper packaging.

This is an issue that I hope they would address.

Now to be devils advocate on some of the forms being shipped 1 or 2 to a box with 100 bubbles protecting them......what pisses you off more? McKenzies waisted space with air bubbles for protection or Coombs shoving 7 deer in 1 box and 5 of the noses are sticking out of the side with most being broken from them trying to shove 10 gallons of $hit in a 5 gallon bucket?!

I have been pretty happy with the way they pack in Texas, it seems like you other guys have it a little worse, but hopefully they will see this type of post and address the issue.

16. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Now to be devils advocate on some of the forms being shipped 1 or 2 to a box with 100 bubbles protecting them......what pisses you off more? McKenzies waisted space with air bubbles for protection or Coombs shoving 7 deer in 1 box and 5 of the noses are sticking out of the side with most being broken from them trying to shove 10 gallons of $hit in a 5 gallon bucket?!

That's exactly right, a happy medium should be the goal, seems as if the extremist examples shown here resemble our gov't!

17. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

These ARE not extreme, I get weekly deliveries from McKenzie it's always the same Their is ONE good POINT.....

It does save me a bunch of money reusing the bubble wrap they send , go price that stuff.... ;D.
    I have 10 lawn and leaf bags filled to the top, use it to ship out my stuff.
    I look at it this way I will NEVER run out of it.... ;D
    and look at all the extra boxes you get to ship out your things, Never had to buy a box either LOL

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Actually, you did buy those boxes, all of them, in the shipping price, and that bubble wrap, we paid for that too.

19. Thats why I use Walnut Creek Hardwood for panels Randy. They pack them in a box just big enough and dont rape you on the shipping. They are usually here the next business day also.

You guys thinking you get that bubble wrap for free from McKenzie are probably paying a 100% mark-up just like you would for auto parts at a dealership. Damn crooks if you ask me but I'm just a cynical son of a B.

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OK, I'll bite too. I just have a simple question to ask: If so many of you are pissed at McKenzie's service and business practices, WHY THE HELL DO YOU BOTHER CONTINUALLY ORDERING FROM THEM? You guys are like old ladies pissing and moaning yet you still go back. No wonder you're taxidermists. You couldn't survive doing anything else.

PERSONALLY, I've yet to have an issues with them, their products or their shipping. Two days ago I got a reproduction hippo, customer ready (except gluing the teeth and tongue in) in a wooden crate that could have survived a mortar attack. The freight weight was 250 pounds and it was trucked from Albemarle, NC by Estes trucking right up to my shop door for a grand total of $199.64 which I promptly passed along to my customer. Tearing down the box, I probably salvaged $200 worth of 4x4 quality luan paneling, several 4 ft 2x4's and two dozen #2 1x4 pine boards.

I would agree that from the pictures there are people in "shipping" who need retraining, but I ran a shipping department for a few years and know the types who usually work there. There's also the bit of "same day shipping". I can see a guy getting multiple items for multiple shipments at random times THINKING there was more to go in a particular box by the time the order was complete. Instead of transferring boxes, he dumps bubble wrap in instead. And if the guy DIDN'T box it that way and the UPS gorilla's used it in a volleyball match, you'd be on here bitching about that as well. Like museum man said, CALL THEM. A business that size WILL take actions. I know Tom Powell well enough to know that he runs a very tight ship. But I'm tired of the pissing and moaning about McKenzie. Next time place your order with Dan Chase. I'm sure you'll be more delighted.