1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Another way to set antlers...lots of pictures!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Boxie, Sep 30, 2011.

1. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Good question.

2. Boxie

Boxie New Member

Sorry for some reason I wasn't aware of the activity on this post.....but I have been busy too. Anyway, I use the screws to align the antlers then set back on with a glob of bondo and chop mixed up. I Vaseline the form before doing this so it is easy to pop off. And also I will drill three tapered holes into the base so as to create a key so I know the cured bondo and antlers will lock in place. Drill four screw holes to secure it down! Thanks for all of the comments!!

3. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I didn't remember commenting on this. It's like I just read it for the very first time, LOL!

4. SJD Taxidermy

SJD Taxidermy New Member

Great tip for sure!
    Thanks

5. Harvestmoontaxi

Harvestmoontaxi Lake of the woods walleyes

Sweet idea!

6. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Greg, all that bondo fumes will make a person forget that he responded to a certain post over 2 years ago. Ha Ha

7. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I don't use any bondo. Number one, clay works fine for me and number two, bondo doesn't adhere the antlers to the form so why use it?

8. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

Maybe because being a part time guy and mount one head at a time, but I use hot glue and tongue pieces of depressors to space the skull/antlers when required. I pre drill the skull and when ready to mount I paste the form, slip on the cape. Than I mix up Bondo with fiber glass cop, smear a bit on the form, fill the scull cap, set the skull and screw it down. While the bondo is setting I set the eyes, fill the hear butts. Next I mix up epoxy clay and smear it around the pedicels, clay in the rest and start the dreaded sewing.

9. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Boxie is always thinking outside the box!

10. Its a good idea , I havent tryed that . I just cut a piece of hard wood and screw it add bondo and set . There is always differant ways of doing things. I do like your idea . Wonder how that would do on larger horns like a moose /

11. Boxie

Boxie New Member

Size of the antlers doesn't matter. Sometimes when they get top heavy one must lean the form forward or backward as the bondo sets to hold them in balance.

12. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Size does matter! That's what I've always been told!

13. Boxie

Boxie New Member

Good one MT!!