1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Help removing overspray from a Snow Goose

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Chesapeake, Oct 2, 2011.

1. I made a careless mistake today while painting some snow goose feet. I wont go into my carelessness but anyway I ended up with a lot of overspray on the feathers. I tried cleaning with lacquer thinner and it removed most of it but left the area with a very pink hue. I tried a little whinks but it didn't seem to do anything. I'm thinking peroxide is the next step. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dave

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Peroxide and/or Whinks won't help and will probably just gunk up the feathers.
    It sounds like your paint might have had cadmium red in it, and if so you are in for a real battle. My best suggestion would be to surgically remove the stained section and clean it separately by immersing it in lacquer thinner. (If it was painted with lacquer-based paints.) If you don't use anything which contains water then the skin will stay in its dried configuration and you should be able to put it back with pins and, if needed, some latex caulking.

If it was painted with water-based paints then it might be harder to deal with. Try the same process but use acetone instead. If that doesn't work then you will probably have to re-wash the stained section, using Windex (or equiv.) in addition to warm water and detergent.
    Good luck!

3. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

If you used waterbase try some wildlife colors cleaner. Seems to work! Jay

4. Paul C

Paul C New Member

MEK----Methyl Ethyl Ketone is the only thing I have found that will completely remove all traces of paint and not leave a stain. Be very careful with it---its dangerous stuff--looking at the can could give you cancer.

5. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

I agree, MEK is bad stuff.

6. I have had good luck with a product called Goof Off for removing Acrylic's and water colors. Works like a charm, don't know if it would work for what you are doing. Gene