1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2 year old krowtann?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Matt Finney, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Just wondering if there is any reason to not use 2-year old krowtann. I called the manufacturer and they said it should be fine as long as it isn't separated and looks fine (mine looks fine).

I just bagged my first elk ever in Colorado a couple weeks ago and was wondering if there is any reason to not use the 2-year old krowtann I have sitting on my shelf. Has anyone had a bad experience with old krowtann. Obviously, I don't want to take any chances. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my elk!

[​IMG]

2. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Why take a chance, buy a new bottle ; a lot cheaper than buying a elk cape !

3. Huggs

Huggs Member

I have used year old stuff alot.

4. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

Ive left stuff soaking in it for 2 years with no problems. Mounted up fine. ;)

5. I put the cape in the tan last night....I'll post the results in a few days.

6. Stir the cape often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flesh while still acidic! then back in the kt! stir often.
    If you do this it will be fine.

7. I'm pretty sure it says on the bottle use within 6 months of purchase.

8. John C,

"Stir the cape often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flesh while still acidic! then back in the kt! stir often.
    If you do this it will be fine."

Is that because it's an elk (thicker than a deer), because the kt might be questionable, or do you do all of your kt stuff that way?

Being an elk, I was thinking I might leave it in longer than normal, maybe up to 7 days, but hadn't thought about fleshing, and then returning to the kt.

Anybody else have any thoughts, or anything specific to elk?

thanks....

9. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I bought some around 2003 (maybe before that). Never opened it and used it on a bobcat in 2010. I figured I had nothing to lose since it was a road kill anyway. The mount is still good. Would I go out of my way today to buy krowtann...no. (I don't know about today but that stuff use to really really smell!)

10. On the krowtann instructions it also says don't stir the capes. . .

11. elk capes are thick, I usually shave mine every other day while they are in KT. Usually leave in for 4 days

12. My cape has been in the KT 7 days now. I did leave it pretty thick...it was getting late, and I was getting tired lol!

Do you think I would have trouble if I just neutralized it and then shaved it?

Do I need to shave it and then return it to the KT for a few more days?

On the KT instructions, it specifies that thicker capes will need longer... is 7 days enough?

What do y'all think?

Any more insights will be GREATLY appreciated....thanks...

13. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Why don`t you call the number on the bottle ? they can answer ALL you questions .

14. I did call them, as I mentioned it in the first post, but I was only asking about whether or not my bottle was still good....didn't get into anything specific to elk. Was just wondering why some suggested to flesh and then go back to the KT.

I went ahead and neutralized, and then shaved it last night (per normal instructions). Everything looks great, the fur seems tight...I'll mount it tomorrow, and post results.

15. Mounted the elk on Saturday. Everything seems fine so far.

This is my fourth mount and first elk, so I'll probably post more pictures for critique/tips later, in case anyone is interested. I'm sure there are many flaws in this mount, but the krowtann seems to have done it's job!

[​IMG]

16. verne

verne Well-Known Member

good to hear !