1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Someone to tan black bear hide and clean skull

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by AdamMcK, Oct 3, 2011.

1. AdamMcK

AdamMcK New Member

I have a black bear hide 4 1/2 feet that I was trying to sale...but the most anyone has offered was 75 bucks..Is that the going rate for black bear? Its worth more to me than that. What's a good price for getting it tanned and maybe getting the skull cleaned? Thanks everyone

2. adam, is it mountable or just left over hide? if not you would be very lucky to get 75 for it, expect around 75 for getting skull cleaned and depending on wether you want it commercial tanned or not a range of about 60-150 $

3. AdamMcK

AdamMcK New Member

Its mountable I guess. Split up the middle on the belly to the neck area and laid flat. feet are attached. it was shot in sept of 09.I don't have the stuff to flesh it and send it out myself The taxidermist I talked to wanted 400 to prep it and get it tanned thought that was a little steep. What is a good price for that?

[​IMG]

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Yes! He has to skin the head and feet; turn the ears, split the lips and eyelids; flesh the Bear; salt the Bear; resalt the Bear; dry it and tend to it, all before sending it to the Tannery. Then there is the cost to have it tanned. So ... yes, it is more than a fair price!

5. AdamMcK

AdamMcK New Member

Thanks for setting me straight

6. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

$400 to prep and tan it isn't a rip off. Many would charge that.

7. AdamMcK

AdamMcK New Member

I never implied it was a "rip off". Just seemed expensive to someone not familiar with the trade.

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

That's cheap! What??? You think our work is easy???

9. AdamMcK

AdamMcK New Member

Wasn't tryin to bunch up panties...just wanted to know what a decent price was.........Geeezzzzzzzzz