1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Heath Cline, Oct 4, 2011.

1. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Re: Re: Re: Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !!

haha...me too!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

We're all a bunch of scam artists! My HVAC guy just charged me $80 to change a capacitor on my fan motor. My mechanic charged $600 to change a switch in my truck AC. I recently called a septic guy who had the audacity to charge me $250, just to vacuum the crap out of my septic tank! I won't even call a plumber. Next week I'm going to the dentist. I wonder what that scam artist will charge me.

3. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Heath, you could probably mount a better quality deer than the $200 dude in half the time it's taking him. Your abilities, knowledge, pride and work ethics are what prohibits you from doing it. Write his phone number down and send all of the price shoppers to him. You are not responsible if he separates idiots from their money. They will soon find out who the real scam artist is. If they can't see it, they deserve each other. lol

4. NAV

NAV Frontier Taxidermy

Did you enlighten him about this site? Have him come to taxi.net (the scam artist site) and so do a search on how much people charge, maybe hearing or reading it from every taxidermist in the country will open those closed eyes. Probably not though.

Nav

5. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

*banging my head on table* "He just don't freaking get it"....he's doing all that work just for his ego, because he sure as heck isn't making a dime.

Now you guys have me wondering if we're all going to be flagged on a page somewhere as scammers...um...um....nevermind what I said....I'm not with these guys...... ;)

6. duxdown

duxdown New Member

I would certianly like to see his mount's, they gotta be special!

I mean bare bones on a deer, you have 100 dollars invested as a min. Then if you wet tan it on your own, lets say you have 4 hours total in that and then mount, so lets say you are uber good and fast add another 4 hours. So we are up to 8 total hours, and your the man.
    Hmmm so that leaves you with making 12.50 per hour, oh lets not forget uncle sam wants some too, so you might make 75.00 after taxes, oh but wait for it, even if you did it in your living room, haha what about wear and tear on your equipment.

Hmm what ever, I am new and the only way I would charge that is for my VERY VERY closest buddy, but at least in him I get way more in return than money, see he has more time to scout than I do so guess who gets the call when he finds a big buck or ducks he cant get to because he is working.

7. chadleek

chadleek New Member

I would be very leary of taking something to a taxidedrmist that charges that......he can't seriously be giving his customers a quility mount and be making a profit for $200

8. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I had a new guy call me the other day about fleshing his cape's and it was the same scenario. He was charging the same thing and he
    thought that because he had another job to pay his bill's that mounting deer was pure profit. Everybody else was ripping people off.

9. same here.

LIke Forest Gump said: Stupid is as stupid does. $200 barely covers my expenses on a deer and that doesn't include my wage. He won't be around for long. Got a guy just like that in my neighborhood. At least his claims starts at $300. Anyone over that is a rip off artist. I just ignore him. Not even sure he is still in business as I heard nothing but complains about his work. Oh well.

10. its one thing to work for 200 a head when you first start out to get some work , but if you've been at it for a while workin for that gets really old. I used to do that till my quality improved and have raised my price every year since then. I'm at 450 this year and will keep climbing till they complain its to high. So we'll where we end.

11. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

But Heath maybe hes seen your work! :eek: Hahaha, just kiddin. 8) I dont know why you guys argue with bored, no life losers on message boards. Back in the day when I bothered with hunting boards, etc, all I did was talk to morons. This site is different, but almost any other message board I ever ran across was a stupidfest in progress.

I understand the $400 and $450 prices because its as good as you can do in a certain area, and I think all of us do work good enough to be worth $500 at least. But arguing about 200 dollars isnt worth my valuable time. ;)

12. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

Is your friend Chinese by any chance?

13. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Heath if it makes you feel better I just got a call today from a guy in Southern Illinois. He wanted to know if there was anything he could do with his deer head. He said that hair is falling out every where. I gave him the best advice possible. I told him I bet he paid $200 to $300 for the head and it has bugs. He said he didn't see bugs but saw some kind of bug casings. LOL Any way I told him the best thing he can do with it now is take the rack out of it and throw the rest away. I told him when he was done with that then he could bring me the rack and I will get him a new cape and mount it for him. I told him he got what he paid for and he agreed now. ;) ;D

14. Ihntdeer

Ihntdeer Member

The statement might be true if it was 1960, but $200 barely covers supplies, tanning and shipping now.

15. $200.00 is rediculous the hacks around here get at least $300

16. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

Here's the link you don't need to friend up to do it, its on a public page -
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150354371652941&set=a.228196022940.136109.181267132940&type=1

17. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Anyone can claim to do anything on a message board, it does not mean they do or can. This may just be a kid looking for "fun".
    I would not even respond to it.
    John

18. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Re: Re: Re: Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !!

where do you get your supplies from? Lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I left him a nugget to chew on. LOL

20. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio