1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Heath Cline, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Psycho left him a good one too. LOL

2. A wise old Taxidermist friend of mine told me long ago...... when customers walk in to his shop to get prices,, some would say ...
    why do you charge so much? So & so is doing them for far less. He just looks at them and says,,,, "I guess he knows what his work is worth" I think this may apply here !!?

3. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Gawd, talking to this guy is like talking to a brick wall! Ain't he the righteous one

4. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Re: Re: Re: Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !!

thanks for sharing the link!! This guy is obviously got some issues!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Well that seemed entertaining reading the FB post, haha. Now he says he doesent make anything and its just a hobby. Hmmm So anyone who might want to make a buck is a hack, and I just thought it was so I could have things, like hunting lease, vacation money and so forth. See I too have a Job that is full time but I still wrok my but off for other things.

6. My phone ain't smart enough to link up. Whats this dudes name?

7. There is a guy here in Louisiana that only charges 250. He gets a pile of deer in his shop, stays 2-3 years backlog and growing every year. Pisses people off cause they have to wait so long. But the funny thing is....these very people continue to bring him their work cause of the price. His work is not something I would want on my wall. And the life on these mounts is about 3-4 years. which after they fade and crack. I actually refer people to him that complain about my price being double what his is. One guy was in my shop complaining that this taxidermist has had his deer for 2 years, but is still bringing deer there cause he is too cheap to pay for quality work. I guess some people are stuck at the four corners of a round table eating soup with a fork.

8. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Let’s start with what all taxidermist must have to produce your whitetail mount. A manikin that runs an average of $54.00 and shipping it to the studio $10.00. A pair of eyes $12.00 and a pair of ear liners $9.00. A hanger for your deer $5.00 . Salt to prepare your cape ( 2 saltings ) $4.00 and the clay to set the eyes $2.00 . Mache to set your antlers and screws to attach it $3.00 Needle and thread to sew it $3.00 . Staples to attach the hide to the back $2.00. Shipping your cape for your mount to the professional tannery $8.00 and the return shipping $8.00, The tanning charges for your cape to be professionally done $47.00. If your taxidermists does it himself it still costs that much in labor and chemicals and time to produce it. Glue is needed to secure your hide to the manikin $6.00. Along with the paint and epoxies to rebuilt the soft tissue , nose, eye lids and any repairs that need to be made $5.00.
    You have a total of $178.00 and the taxidermist hasn’t even touched your deer yet……..

9. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Dennis I think its a safe bet that these are not professionally tanned or even glued for that matter LMAO.

10. shammy

shammy New Member

Thanks

11. This dude really gets to me, I'm just starting out so prices are cheaper than they should be, but im only $50-75$ lower than the average around here. And prices are going up with my expericance. Makes everyone that does this for a living or part time like myself as a hobby bussiness look bad. Why should we work for free. Its hard to get the respect you desirve starting out where people like him are out there. Make the best of yourself and pay yourself for it. If your not comfortable with your product dont charge it but if you can't get yourself to pull the money out of the customer's pocket then tuck your work boots back in the corner and start collectin buddy. Some people do this for the enjoyment but we gotta pay bills too!

12. little fred

little fred R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

me too heath

13. I lost 3 Antelops to a flicking $300 taxidermist today that pissed me off.3 Days ago a customer called and asked how much i do for an Antelop i said $450 that is reasonable price here. He said him and his buddies get 4 to mount.Today he show up with 1 to do Euro mount i asked where're another 3 he said he got a guy in Wyoming do it for $300 so he left them there.I just smile didn't say anything.

Last week a customer called and asked me for an Elk shoulder mount i told him $950 for Elk regular wall mount he said he'll call me back but never call so i called him back couple days later and asked what's going on(nicely) he said he got a guy can do it for $750.I was pissed and i told him i will do it for $800 and will go pick it up at his house 60 miles away just to piss a taxidermist next door off for cut the price down.He been in business for almost 10 years now and got 2-3 years back up.I know i wont get anyting out of this job but it just makes me feel better.

14. gab

gab Active Member

when we cut our price just to get the work we are playing into the customers hands and devaluing our work.also perpetuating the known fact in the hunting community that taxidermists prices are flexible and they will discount to get the work.

15. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Hey Michael P. good job on getting that guy to send you his deer to mount.

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Thanks!! ;)

17. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Yeah great job! LMAO! ;D

18. Carls1

Carls1 New Member

Here's a $100 mount for a mulligan. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. nelentaxidermy

nelentaxidermy Member

PA
    I got a call last night from the local game preserve that I do alot of work for.
    They said a client wanted to meet me and talk about having a deer done.
    I grab my paperwork and head on over.

Meet the client and we talk for a minute and he asks, 'How much?'
    $500 is what I charge ( I must be a scam artist...HaHa) ;D
    He quickly says, "a guy in SC near where he Spring hunts' does deer for $265."
    My brain quickly goes into spin mode, try to sell and not loose a client.

He then states,'I dont know how he does a mount for $265. He has to be working for free. He does OK work.'

We continue our conversation and in the end I bring home 2 deer at $500 each.
    That must make me a double scam artist. ;D ;D

In the end it all worked out great. This new client was very reasonable and knew the facts. Never blinked an eye at the price, but my head was spinning fast when I heard $265 and wanted to still take home some work...

Still scratching my head over $265 but surely not going to work for that. If I am going to do something for free. I will take that free time and play with my kids more, shoot more, hunt more, ride my motorcycle more. I surely am not going to work for somebody else for free...

20. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I've already lost a few pieces this month to lower prices in my area and I don't care! LOL

Here's the deal, I have plenty of work at my prices and will continue too. If per say I had a couple of bad years and had to close up shop I'm not going to the local bakery or convenience store and working for $10 an hour, I'm making some calls around Texas and the United States, finding the studio that will have me on our terms and go there.

If I were to lower my prices to keep up with my area I may as well just take the convenience store job and get rid of the headaches.