1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Heath Cline, Oct 4, 2011.

1. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Same with Printing.

2. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

I saw a guy at the gun show mounting pheasants and selling them for 40 bucks.
    And everyone that bought one received a forty dollar pheasant.............LOL

3. nelentaxidermy

nelentaxidermy Member

PA
    What do they call it Deja Vu.
    Went to the game preserve again tonight after a call from the owner.
    Client says I know a $300 guy back home, TN.
    I show him my work hanging there and discuss reasonable turn around times.
    He was happy, filled out the paperwork, and neveer blinked at my price.

One of his last comments,'If you keep your turnaround time like you stated, I willhave this deer back before my deer from 1 1/2 yrs ago.
    Somemight call mea 'scam artist"but my customers and I am happy.
    Their business in theirs, I just dont understand it....

4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I don't mind losing customers to people who charge less. I just wish they'd tell me okay, I'll shop around, or that's too much; I'll take it somewhere else. What I don't like is people saying I'll bring it over Saturday or Tuesday night or whatever and like a dummy I don't plan any hunting or to go out with my wife on that night because I think someone's bringing something over when really they're too embarrassed to say they're just to cheap to pay what it's worth.
    On another note, I'm going to post on that guy's page that I charge $100 for deer and that anyone who charges $200 is a scam artist. You guys should post something similar. We'll see how he likes it. LOL.

5. 93ford

93ford New Member

You lose all credibility with statements like this. I would love to know how you put $500 plus into a deer head.

6. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

Its called overhead and profit.

I am at $600 this year

7. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

Hi Chad I am guessing. Previous posts state 23 years part time. Chad on facebook the 200 and over scam guy in question 23 years part time. User name 93 ford Chad has pics of a late model ford on facebook. Might be a stretch might be dead on and downright funny.

8. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

LMAO, well if its him he shouldn't count on making friends here lol

9. livbucks

If he sticks around, we'll have him farting through silk in no time.

10. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Do you have overhead???

11. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I don't think you can afford to stick around too long. At that price you Got to get back to work to keep the lights on. I've lost 124 days on here. With my skills I could have mounted like... one deer in that time. I'm thinking I might have lost $200 bucks. What a dumbazz I am.

12. livbucks

I meant we will get him to charge what he should.

One of these days you might try it. Then again, you are a union guy. You are too smart to put up with all the BS I guess. ;D
    You'd be way ahead to just work a few overtime a week than to stick your foot into this meat grinder.

13. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

LOL have you looked into the cost of billboard advertising? What about employees wages and all the taxes and everything that goes along with them?

14. jcrosstaxidermy

jcrosstaxidermy New Member

Just my input====sorry-- Buy a shop in town not behind the house and pay 400 a month utilities plus 700 a month shop payment plus retirement and insurance and see what you have too charge for a deer. Im not the best but can compete with the rest.

15. jcrosstaxidermy

jcrosstaxidermy New Member

friend me too... tired of some guy is cheaper... The bitterness of poore quality last much longer than the sweetness of low price.. wakeup guys..

16. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

You sir have lost ANY credibility as a Businessman or Professional .
    I Guarantee you don't make your living from taxidermy, somebody or something else pays your bills.
    That or you live at Mom's and eat her food an drive a hoopdy.
    YOU are what is WRONG with the taxidermy industry....

Here is your answer.....

Everything you want to know about Whitetail Taxidermy.

In the state of Michigan it's easier to get a taxidermy license than it is to get a driver's license. At least to get that you have to take a written test and prove you can drive a car. With taxidermy nothing is required just a name some personal information and $100.00. You need no experience to get one, NONE.
    That being said this article has nothing to do with the quality of work in the industry, let me just say if it doesn't look real it's been done wrong, and your money has been ill spent.
    What I will cover is something that every taxidermist has involved in let's say a deer mount. Expenses like overhead, utility bills, tools, all supplies, labor and various expenses in producing quality work for you.

Let's start with what all taxidermist must have to produce your whitetail mount. A manikin that runs an average of $54.00 and shipping it to the studio $10.00. A pair of eyes $12.00 and a pair of ear liners $9.00. A hanger for your deer $5.00 . Salt to prepare your cape ( 2 saltings ) $4.00 and the clay to set the eyes $2.00 . Mache to set your antlers and screws to attach it $3.00 Needle and thread to sew it $3.00 . Staples to attach the hide to the back $2.00. Shipping your cape for your mount to the professional tannery $8.00 and the return shipping $8.00, The tanning charges for your cape to be professionally done $47.00. If your taxidermists does it himself it still costs that much in labor and chemicals and time to produce it. Glue is needed to secure your hide to the manikin $6.00. Along with the paint and epoxies to rebuilt the soft tissue , nose, eye lids and any repairs that need to be made $5.00.
    You have a total of $178.00 and the taxidermist hasn't even touched your deer yet……..

Now lets talk other expenses, Overhead. The cost of the taxidermist being in Business. Yep at home or a studio. The rent, the electric, the gas or propane, the insurance, by the way we have coverage for your mounts in our studio to cover any loss, Most taxidermists don't carry coverage for YOUR trophies. His tools and replacement when they need it. Water bills, freezers, equipment like fleshers and tumblers. Office needs , phone bill the list is large. Virtually anything he needs or has to have to stay in business. This can be as low as $5. Per hour to $20. Per hour so let's go and use the lowest end. $5.00 per hour. Remember this number.

Now let's start your deer and go thru the complete process of professionally mounting it.

You arrive at the taxidermist and spend time with him or her and decide your pose and write up the paperwork. ½ hour.
    He takes your deer measures the face and neck and needed measurements to reproduce it, then skins the deer off the head and proceeds to remove all flesh and fat, remove the muscles under the skin around the eyes and opens the lips and shaves them down for salting, then turns the ears inside out again for salting and marks the cape for identification that is normally your bill #. Then your cape is taken to the salting area and salted the first time. The next day the cape will be shaken off and new salt applied. 1 ½ hours.
    Your antlers cut off the skull , securely marked and inventoried and cleaned , boiled and bug proofed removing all meat and flesh ½ hour.
    Once dried your cape is wrapped packaged and boxed and sent to tannery, upon it's return it is wetted and measured , identified by client with the markings that were punched into the skin when you dropped it off bagged and frozen, inventoried into a freezer and manikin ordered from all the measurements. ½ hour.
    When the mounting process starts the skin is prepared properly, the lips are thinned even more and the eyes are shaved as thin as possible to avoid any shrinking of the skin, the ears are checked for damage and turned completely to the edge so no wrinkling of the ear skin occurs. Bullet holes and any damage to the skin are sewn and repaired.
    1 hour
    Then the ear liners are installed various types are used but installation of them are roughly the same ½ hour
    Your hanger is installed on your manikin and the antlers are positioned and angled and secured to the head. The form is roughed up. There is a mold separator on the manikin from the supplier and this must be sanded or scotched to insure the glue securely holds the skin. ½ hour

Your deer then needs to have the muscles on the head where the antlers were replaced an the manikin rebuilt, also the eyes lid muscles and lip line all have to be clayed, sculpted and reproduced to look realistic. Then ear butts have to be built out of clay and the tanned skin placed over the manikin. The skin is adjusted around the face and antlers and the brisket, lips tucked and nose adjusted correctly, ear buts secured with screws and adjusted, then sewn around the antlers and down the back groomed and detailed and the hide stapled to the back of the form. Seams groomed and stapled down and eyes pinned and adjusted to a life like state.
    2 ½ hours or more

Your mount is looked after for the next 4-5 days as it dries to make sure that no skin is pulling around the antler burrs and eyes and that no skin lip line eyes or ears have shifted as the mount tightens and dries. This takes only a few minutes but must be done for the first few days total time over that period ½ hour

The mount is then finished, the hair is cleaned of all dust and debris from mounting with an acetone or lacquer thinner wash. The pins staples and holding material is removed and the excess clays around the eyes are removed and cleaned The eye lids are filled with epoxy to give it a plump look the inner nose is smoothed and rebuilt, the outer nose is epoxied and texture is added to give it soft plump look, the lower lip is rebuilt if any shrinkage has occurred and any tiny gap around the antler burr it filled. Then the tear duct in front of the eye is rebuilt and filled accordingly. Then the deer is airbrushed around its eyes and lips with white paint, yellow ochre, gray and light brownand cocoa brown, then glossed and sealed, 5 colors in all blended in each step, You need soft browns around the eyes and darker browns on the nose. The inside of the nose is painted flesh and also the inside of the ears , all that are realistic to the whitetail. All overspray paint is removed form the hair, it's dry brushed and final groomed for the client. The client is called and when he comes to the studio you spend some time with him going over the care of the mount Finishing and last steps
    2 ¾ hours plus ¼ hour

From start to finish it takes 10 hours of labor to completely do your deer properly, professionally, and correctly.

Lets review some things here
    Cost of supplies $178.00
    Cost of overhead $50.00 for 10 hours of operation , that's minimum $5.00 per hour to RUN his business.
    Total cost $ 228.00

Remember at this point the taxidermist hasn't even touched your deer YET !

NOW the $300.00 guy is going to spend 10 hours and make $72.00

Are you going to trust your mount, your memory, your trophy to a taxidermist that knows He's only worth only $7.20 per hour ?????
    Do you think He's cutting corners somewhere?
    How good a job is that taxidermist going to for you for less than minimum wage.?????

17. livbucks

I wish. I can't do one in 10 hours.

18. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

DennIs, you're wasting your time. Do you really think anybody dumb enough to charge $200 a deer head is smart enough to understand what you wrote? I don't think so.

19. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

These guys are an INSULT to this industry and are scum to me.
    I don't care if I get bumbed off here or what others think about my honest feelings
    I despise these people.

20. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Dennis, I feel the same way (and i'm only a part timer) Hell I charge $750 for a deer as my spare time is even more valuable since I have already put in a 40 hr work week on job number 1. The average shop here is at $700 or so and I refuse to undercut someone who makes their living at this!