1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Heath Cline, Oct 4, 2011.

1. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Ted it is just crazy round here....go west of the Mississippi and the prices hit 650 750 anywhere out west
    East of the Miss, people are JUST PLAIN STUPID.

You have it right your working on deer on your OVERTIME taking away family time and leisure time for you.
    You get OT after 40 then some of these *holes work for Less than Minimum wage.
    Sorry bunch.... they need to go hang with the feral people of the flea party on Wall street, they know just about as much as those people do about running a business.

2. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

Damnit Topher......you told me you would'nt post my mount !!!!!!!!

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Saw a site today and the guy charged $400 for a whitetail, $450 for an Elk and $500 for a moose. His work was not that bad, but he had like 3 deer and I duck on his site which makes me wonder if they have ever mounted or priced cost on mounting one of these animals or do they think " it's just like a big deer!".... just makes you scratch your head.

I do not have anything against these people and I do not think they compete for our business that much, seriously, who would want "that" customer. But I actually feel sorry for their naivety.

4. Carls1

Carls1 New Member

Lol. Sorry brotha, I was just so captivated with the craftsmanship I thought everyone should see.

5. RTF

RTF Active Member

I wish to god I could get a deer mannikin shipped her for $10.00. Try more like $20-$30

6. *

Order more ;D 5 in a box shipping is usually about $50 a box to my place.
    Just kidding ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

93 FORD ?? You haven't responded what's up ? Cat got your tongue?

Maybe he's so broke he can't pay the internet bill.......

7. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

LMAO, can't be, he makes tons of money in his day job :D

8. crittrstuffr2aol.com

crittrstuffr2aol.com Making hunting memories last a lifetime.

The math seems simple enough. charge more per deer head do less deer heads make the same money. Do the same amount of deer heads make even more money. I wasn't the best in math but fellas this is a no brainier, some just do not get it and that's scary.

9. *

10. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

He is calling his gross take as profit.

11. 93ford

93ford New Member

Exactly Greg. * finally came out in a private message and stated that he clears about the same as I do (65%) on each deer. He just differentiates between profit and pay.

12. livbucks

Well, there is a difference.

Would you call the money you pay an employee to perform work a profit? Why do people like to cheat themselves out of wages? Being an owner and an employee does not make a difference. You still pay yourself a wage and THEN you figure a profit. Otherwise you are subsidizing the business out of your personal wage.

13. *

ROFLMAO how stupid are you ??? You are so full of it , I did not say that at all....
    Please tell me ???
    You get free electric, free tools, saws, screw drivers hammers drills any tools you use FREE, free heat, free insurance, free invoices and paper,free office supplies and free tags, free phone, free replacement tools when they break or are used up, free business cards, do you claim that income or work under the table? free needles ,screws, pins, paint, epoxy, free clay, free glue, free light bulbs Please tell me where you get this stuff for FREE.WHat if you had to pay someone to do your work if you were ill or sick?
    Do you understand that profit is what you make AFTER your expenses and wages and all your other bills ????

Do you work for free.

You are a JOKE and you just don't get it
    I need to change things and start charging 300 and do them in less than 5 hours, I'd be making 40 per hour, man that;s making money I'd be rich.

I have reached a new goal in my life, I have now pm'ed and posted to the dumbest person I have ever met in my 52 years on this planet. Scotty Beam me UP PLEASE !

PLEASE tell me how much time you take on these procedures when mounting a deer.

PLEASE ::)

You sir have lost ANY credibility as a Businessman or Professional .
    I Guarantee you don't make your living from taxidermy, somebody or something else pays your bills.
    That or you live at Mom's and eat her food an drive a hoopdy.
    YOU are what is WRONG with the taxidermy industry....

Here is your answer.....

Everything you want to know about Whitetail Taxidermy.

Now let's start your deer and go thru the complete process of professionally mounting it.

You arrive at the taxidermist and spend time with him or her and decide your pose and write up the paperwork. ½ hour.
    He takes your deer measures the face and neck and needed measurements to reproduce it, then skins the deer off the head and proceeds to remove all flesh and fat, remove the muscles under the skin around the eyes and opens the lips and shaves them down for salting, then turns the ears inside out again for salting and marks the cape for identification that is normally your bill #. Then your cape is taken to the salting area and salted the first time. The next day the cape will be shaken off and new salt applied. 1 ½ hours.
    Your antlers cut off the skull , securely marked and inventoried and cleaned , boiled and bug proofed removing all meat and flesh ½ hour.
    Once dried your cape is wrapped packaged and boxed and sent to tannery, upon it's return it is wetted and measured , identified by client with the markings that were punched into the skin when you dropped it off bagged and frozen, inventoried into a freezer and manikin ordered from all the measurements. ½ hour.
    When the mounting process starts the skin is prepared properly, the lips are thinned even more and the eyes are shaved as thin as possible to avoid any shrinking of the skin, the ears are checked for damage and turned completely to the edge so no wrinkling of the ear skin occurs. Bullet holes and any damage to the skin are sewn and repaired.
    1 hour
    Then the ear liners are installed various types are used but installation of them are roughly the same ½ hour
    Your hanger is installed on your manikin and the antlers are positioned and angled and secured to the head. The form is roughed up. There is a mold separator on the manikin from the supplier and this must be sanded or scotched to insure the glue securely holds the skin. ½ hour

Your deer then needs to have the muscles on the head where the antlers were replaced an the manikin rebuilt, also the eyes lid muscles and lip line all have to be clayed, sculpted and reproduced to look realistic. Then ear butts have to be built out of clay and the tanned skin placed over the manikin. The skin is adjusted around the face and antlers and the brisket, lips tucked and nose adjusted correctly, ear buts secured with screws and adjusted, then sewn around the antlers and down the back groomed and detailed and the hide stapled to the back of the form. Seams groomed and stapled down and eyes pinned and adjusted to a life like state.
    2 ½ hours or more

Your mount is looked after for the next 4-5 days as it dries to make sure that no skin is pulling around the antler burrs and eyes and that no skin lip line eyes or ears have shifted as the mount tightens and dries. This takes only a few minutes but must be done for the first few days total time over that period ½ hour

The mount is then finished, the hair is cleaned of all dust and debris from mounting with an acetone or lacquer thinner wash. The pins staples and holding material is removed and the excess clays around the eyes are removed and cleaned The eye lids are filled with epoxy to give it a plump look the inner nose is smoothed and rebuilt, the outer nose is epoxied and texture is added to give it soft plump look, the lower lip is rebuilt if any shrinkage has occurred and any tiny gap around the antler burr it filled. Then the tear duct in front of the eye is rebuilt and filled accordingly. Then the deer is airbrushed around its eyes and lips with white paint, yellow ochre, gray and light brownand cocoa brown, then glossed and sealed, 5 colors in all blended in each step, You need soft browns around the eyes and darker browns on the nose. The inside of the nose is painted flesh and also the inside of the ears , all that are realistic to the whitetail. All overspray paint is removed form the hair, it's dry brushed and final groomed for the client. The client is called and when he comes to the studio you spend some time with him going over the care of the mount Finishing and last steps
    2 ¾ hours plus ¼ hour

From start to finish it takes 10 hours of labor to completely do your deer properly, professionally, and correctly.

14. 93ford

93ford New Member

Caping out the head and turn the ears - 20 min
    Form prep, antlers and eyes - 20 min

Fleshing with machine - 20 min
    Detail fleshing with razor blade - 25 min
    Sewing up most of the back of the neck - 10 min

I use dry preservative so the salting and tanning are not an issue.

Install earlliners, dp and mount - 90 min
    clean up shop - 15 min

let dry for 3-4 weeks

clean up and paint - 30 min

Time spent with customer in beginning and end - 30 min

These are average times. Sometimes things take longer for reasons we are all familiar with.

I buy my stuff $1000 at a time so I get the 12% discount which usually gets eaten up with the shipping, so I have $54 in the form, eyes and ear liners approx. $20. dp, clay, pins, thread etc. is something but not substantial. All these numbers are approx. If this was my living, I would have reason to be more precise. To me, it's just a hobby that gives me an extra $15,000 a year to support my other hobbies.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

How much " hobby support" money would you have if you charged $350 per head vs. $200?

16. livbucks

In my estimation he is mounting more than 200 heads a year.

17. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

Wow. No fed, state and local taxes. Must be nice. ???

18. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

People should charge the going rate if not for the obvious basic self respect, then at least for respect for others in the industry. Im glad I dont have to deal with the low end, regardless how anyone justifies it. Theres plenty of room for all the price range, but not for the lowballer.

19. 65 heads at $300 a pop is $19,500.
    65 heads at $74 is $4,810 in materials.
    $19,500 subtract $4,810 and you get $14,690.
    That's negative $310 to cover overhead and the unsubstantial things and still make $15,000.

Disclaimer, none of those are my numbers, just using "someone" else's numbers to do a little math. I love math. :)

20. *

LOL LOL Please post a CLOSE UP picture of your Haxidermy, I want to see a 4 1/2 hour deer ;D
    I'll be happy to post mine

I'd love to see yours but you won't .

I'll take bets here from anyone.