1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Heath Cline, Oct 4, 2011.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Re-read that 93ford.......You said it, I didn't

2. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

This guy is one of the many reasons a lot of you full timers have such a hard time making a real living.
    He doesn't care of you can male a living or not, I can't stand these guys...

3. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Which figures are his actual figures. I'm getting confused.

4. *

Had enough, this guy is a POS. Does nothing to help our industry does nothing to help anyone advance and improve their quality of life, quality of their income or leisure but his own.
    I have kept my prices high for two reasons first to keep my volume of work at a reasonable level for turnaround and to let lower quality taxidermist at least make it full time by charging a living wage just below my prices to
    in the marketplace,
    But to do deer at $300 is an INSULT to every one of you. He is flipping you off and would walk over your dead body to make his money and probably check your pockets for your cash before walking away.
    I wish I could find out what he does for a real job so I could go to his boss and offer that I do his job for 1/2 of what he has to pay this guy and see how that makes him feel when it effects his bill paying ability.
    Kick me off this site, Could care less, this guy is a P O S and HURTS EVERYONE IN THIS INDUSTRY.
    Screw this post and screw him.

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Wait, is he charging $300 per deer? I thought he said anyone charging over $200 is a scam artist. Maybe I'm missing something, but is he calling himself a scam artist?

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Yep....and he's making $392 off a $300 deer head!

7. RTF

RTF Active Member

I will just say this. There is no taxidermist within North America who is licensed to do taxidermy, who is legally zoned to conduct a legitimate taxidermy shop, who has overhead business expenses, who spends money on advertising along with state and federal wildlife permits, who belong to their state and or national taxidermy associations, who pays income and social security tax on their net profits, who has a large work load, who professionally preserves their deer capes or has them done by a third party, charging $300 for a deer mount.

8. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

I truly gotta throw out the BS flag on all of this. I would bet hard money that this guy only does maybe 5 deer a year and is playing around. Playing as a taxidermist maybe, fooling his buddies.

ANYONE who has ever mounted 75 deer a year would have more thought to it than this pretender. It's pretty much that simple.......HE'S LYING !!! Now he's got himself in deep and can't get out.

I can't think of one single guy that can do a 4 1/2 hour deer from start to finish, at least one you would hang on your wall anyway.

Maybe I'm way off here, but everyone has given this hack way more attention than deserved. Someone has to know this guy and I'll bet you would find out that he does very few deer a year, way less than he claims. I'd want to see his books (and his mounts) after taxes and everything else and I again would bet he's in the minus from everything he's said. There is no way 75 people a year are dumb enough to let this guy mount their deer. He's not going to defend himself anymore as the hole keeps getting deeper and deeper.

On another note: I know of a hackidermist down near a town called "Ruffsdale", PA. My boss used to use him as recently as last year for some mounts. $250.00 a deer head back in three months. I have pictures of the work and have personally laid my hands on it. Melted crayons inside the ears, attempted bondo earliners, DP'd (hair falling out in your hand on a fresh mount).
    Now my boss can afford to have his whitetails mounted by any one in the world and his responce was "Why would I pay double that price and wait over a year to get my deer back?" It took me four years of educating him and pictures of mounts side by side to turn him around. BUT, the hackidermist is still in business for over 5 years as well as I can tell and is still taking in local work.

They are out there, and they are taking money out of pockets......I just don't think that 93ford is smart enough even to be a hack.

9. Its a shame

10. Re: Re: Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !!

He'll I'm still learning I don't produce the best mounts around....but I am at 500 for a shoulder 600 for pedestal and friends and family pay more...I justify it Like this...it cost me 6 grand to put cement in my barn...I was able to buy out another guys equipment for 2 k it costs me 800 per year for heat ( pellet stove) electric ( seperate service) averages 60 per month..not to mention 7 k for classes with a pro...I am leaving a bunch out but I charge what I do because that's what I feel I have to make to make it worthwhile to do taxidermy.......I do it part time and am a farmer full time...so if I am going to work overtime I am damned sure going to get paid for it.........I think if you had any self respect at all you would all be at least 400 for shoulder at the very least and most likely 500+ while I am ranting wouldn't it be nice if we were all at a grand a head think of how much more time you could spend doing what you want

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

I'm not gonna lie to anybody....as recently as last year I was at $375 a head, simple shoulder mount. The "area" demanded it.
    There's a taxidermist behind every tree around me. I had to at least stay competitive and was considered on the high side. I have since, over the last two years, changed my client base and am now dealing with some hunters that bring me enough work to keep me busy all year and I can charge $500.00 a head without question. Word of mouth is helping and I'm getting in more all the time and I'm thinking of upping the prices again.

I have a full time job that pays my bills....but I understand all the economics behind taxidermy, not one second of my time and effort are free....it's all factored in. I will never be a master taxidermist,I understand my limits, with that being said I can still produce a quality whitetail shoulder mount that I'm not embarrassed about and charge accordingly.

To anybody out there who charges $300.00 or less for a whitetail mount. THE PEOPLE WILL PAY MORE FOR IT, IF YOU CHARGE MORE FOR IT. Your not getting more work out of it, your just being taken advantage of.

You could change your prices right now, today, and say that due to shipping and added costs you can no longer mount a deer for your old price. Raise it $100.00 and I'd bet you wouldn't lose a single customer. Try it, if it doesn't work, then go backwards or find an easier way to make a hundred bucks for 10 hours of work.

12. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Ruffsdale...I know that "town".

Gettin' yur deer mounted in "Ruffsdale". How prophetic of the outcome.

I know. I'm being a little ROUGH. But Tim is right. This whole region is a meatgrinder for taxidermy.

13. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

There is a Taxidermist in PORT AUSTIN MICHIGAN charging $200.00 for neck mount, and $250.00 for shoulder mount. Turkey Tails starting at $30.00. ??? But he doe's not have a website, would like to see his work. I'm at $395.00 shoulder, $425.00 wall ped, and $450.00 floor ped for this season. Will up it for next season.

14. *

Yep one of my local hacks.
    In the county north of me
    You could get three done there for the price of one of mine..... ;D WHAT A DEAL

15. Re: Re: Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !!

My brother had one done in saginaw mi a few years ago for $185 and he got the tanned backskin back at that price and it looks like chit

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

x2

17. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

LMAO, Chad is at it again bashing high fence hunters and taxidermists that work for them.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150354371652941&set=a.228196022940.136109.181267132940&type=1

18. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Wow talk about stupidity.

19. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

WOW. lol He's BRILLIANT!! :D

20. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Well said Leslie.