1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any taxidermist charging over $200 per deer head is a SCAM ARTIST !!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Heath Cline, Oct 4, 2011.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I'm having new flooring installed in 3 rooms of my house. I bought the flooring from Home Depot and talked with one of their sub contractors about the installation.I them talked with a local man who has a full time 40 hour a week job and then on the side (Friday, Saturday & Sunday) works on installing peoples flooring. His estimate was $150 MORE than the full time contractors!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked him "what makes you more expensive", his answer got him the job. I'm local, if there is ANY problems in the future I will be here to fix them AND I charge what I need to do the best job, not to get the job. Deposit is paid and his $150 more expensive job on my house begins Friday.

Never knew floor installers were 10X brighter than most Taxidermists.

93ford, I appreciate your better attitude, but it was YOU, not HEATH CLINE said people charging the higher amount were ripping peope off.

2. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

I was the one who first said or rather called him Chad the name of the guy who on facebook said 200+ is a scam. I did this since they both said (93ford here and Chad on Facebook) 23 years experience, part time, and I thought Chad on facebook had pictures of fords but it was Chevy plus the timing of posts. 93ford is keeping it cool somewhat that a$$clown on facebook is still at it and if you have not seen his latest posts your in for a treat. Again I don't think they are the same with his denial of it just a coincindence of the years experience and some other issues.

3. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

How many years have you been doing taxidermy 93ford? Not sure if you mentioned it, and I don't feel like reading the whole thread over again. If you have been doing it 5 years or less, then your work reflects that considering you say you have no formal training. If you are beyond that, you REALLY need improvement. I learned ALOT just reading Breakthrough magazine and the Breakthrough books. I took a 1 on 1 8 hour WT class with a guy ( master taxidermist) who had gotten best of show whitetail at the eastern regionals and who had studied under Joe Meder. That was 300.00 and I learned ALOT. I haven't been to a competition/convention is many years. Recently I've been learning stuff right off of this forum, and "exploring my memory", with things just jumping out at me.

My point? Either you have the talent or you don't. You don't have to be at every competition winning 1st places in the master division either. I know of several old timer taxidermists who are hacks. They have not progressed pass 1970 or 1985 for that matter. They apparently have no talent, since if they did I'd think they would have more pride and do whatever they can to improve their quality. How they are still in business after so many years of low grade work is beyond me, other than the fact that they ARE cheaper than all the taxidermists who actually put out good work and work to improve at a constant rate. I do know that 1 of these hackadoodles went full time after retiring, and he has a full pension and house paid off. Another 1 used to get most of his work from being a deer check-in station for many years, but when DNR stopped doing that he lost alot of business and RAISED his prices. I assume he still does the same quality work though.

4. 93ford

93ford New Member

Trappersteph,
    I did my first deer in 1988. I did some for family that was letting me practice for about 5 years and didn't get a license till around 1994. I started with 5 or 6 that year and did more every year until 2 years ago when the economy went south. I have had a little training but I wouldn't call it formal in the way you are talking. In the early 90s, I helped a taxidermist with skinning and fleshing and picked up a few things along the way. I have also learned a lot along the way through trial and error and have learned a lot on here as well. This sight could be so much better as far as help goes but they won't regulate the ones spewing hateful remarks and profanities and those that think their way is the only way and chastise others publicly for doing things differently. I also realize that people on this sight are not in the business or educating others to take their business. I have been burned by that locally myself. I know there are taxidermist good enough to get any price but it seems to me that a lot of their business is the upper crust of clients, of which there are very, very few around this area. As I have stated, if the most expensive guy is getting $365 and the best guy is getting $340, then I see nothing to gain for me by raising my price. Unless of course I get the training to make my mounts look better than the $340 guy and I am not sure I have the time or money to do that just yet. Maybe someday.

5. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Investing is really a simple concept. You might invest your money in another company or you can invest in yourself.

6. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Its not this sites fault, or us moderators to regulate, or the guys with the big mouths fault either. People read what they want to in here and dont have to read the bs They just ignore the bs, just like in real life. The reason why you who charge so little irk guys like Dennis is simple...you dilute the price range. You should see how much work youd get if you had a guy asking (and getting paid) anything over the going rate. He raises the price range, and all you guys benefit. You can all price up. But instead, he constantly loses work to cheapo pricing. Yes, the customer soon learns the work isnt worth the price, but by then, the job is lost. Why am I getting $750 for a deerhead in my area, when my three nearest taxidermists are all in the $300 range? Plus Ive been as far behind as 3 or 4 years for awhile there while I worked through some personal/family issues. Sure, I miss out on a ton of work to the guys charging $325, $350, $375, $395, $400, $425, etc. I know that. Those guys laugh behind my back and think Im an idiot for all the work Im losing/theyre getting because of me. But, just think of how I smile whenever I have another customer come in and pay as much for a deposit on my heads as some of those laughing competitors get for the total !!!

I often wonder why I try so hard to convince people of this price thing. All I can say is, I wish you guys well, youll do as you all see fit to do. Good luck with your season.

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

When are people going to stop BITCHING about things on a FREE public site?! If you want it YOUR way, PAY SOMEBODY! But when it's FREE you take the good with the bad.

Nobody makes you log on to this place that could be so much better.

8. livbucks

I'd rather be free than censored. The community here regulates itself. You go too far and people call you on it. No other way to live if you ask me.

9. If you see so much room for improvement, you could start your own forum! Not like that hasn't been done! ;D

Since free isn't good enough, you could pay people to post on yours, and then explain to everyone how much more money you make by paying people to post on your forum.

10. TRAPPERGIRL

TRAPPERGIRL Proud Member-Taxidermy M.A.F.I.A. & Taxinet Clique

I finally got it -- what this all reminded of

Brad Paisley's song ---- " I'm So Much Cooler On Line " ;D

11. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

93ford, what state do you live in? I can't see $365 being the highest.

12. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Your a waste of my time...........You'll NEVER get it your mind is set and it's in stupid mode.

You know Nothing about running a PROFITABLE BUSINESS.

13. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Well Dennis, at least he posted some of his work lol.

Its pretty damn typical of a $300 deer head from what I can see. There is no way I could EVER give a customer that work.

14. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Im not siding with the guy, but do keep in mind, he did play fair, he posted pics, tried answering everyones questions, and remember, its not him thats running off in FB about this. Just sayin.

15. livbucks

I think we may need some poetry to fix this thread as well.

16. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Surely you don't think that works. LOL What the hell try it for us Greg. ;D

Only two things fix it, people shut up and stop responding or the others get tired of making someone look llike an idiot. ;D

17. livbucks

Comrades
    by Robert Nichols
    (In hospital, London, Autumn 1915)

Before, before he was aware
    The "Verey" light had risen... on the air
    in hung glistering..
    And he could not stay his hand
    From moving to the barbed wire's broken strand.
    A rifle cracked.
    He fell.
    Night waned. He was alone. A heavy shell
    Whispered itself passing high, high overhead.
    His wound was wet to his hand: for still it bled
    On the glimmering ground.
    Then with a slow, vain smile his wound be bound,
    Knowing, of course, he'd not see home again -
    Home, whose thought he put away.
    His men
    Whispered, "Where's Mister Gates?" "Out on the wire."
    "I'll get him," said one....
    Dawn blinked and the fire
    Of the Germans heaved up and down the line.
    "Stand to!"
    Too late! "I'll get him." "Oh the swine,
    When we might get him in yet safe and whole!"
    "Corp'ral didn't see un fall out on patrol
    Or he'd a got un." "Ssssh"...
    "No talking there."
    A whisper: "'A went down at the last flare."
    Meanwhile the Maxims toc-toc-tocked: their swish
    Of bullets told death lurked against the wish.
    No hope for him!
    His corporal, as one shamed,
    Vainly and helplessly his ill-luck blamed.

Then Gates slowly saw the morn
    Break in a rose peace through the lone thorn
    By which he lay, and felt the dawn-wind pass
    Whispering through the pallid, stalky grass
    Of No-Man's Land...
    And the tears came
    Scaldingly sweet, more lovely than a flame.
    He closed his eyes: he thought of home
    And grit his teeth. He knew no help could come....

The silent sun over the earth held sway,
    Occasional rifles cracked, and far away
    A heedless speck, a 'plane, slid on alone
    Like a fly traversing a cliff of stone.

"I must get back," said Gates aloud, and heaved
    At his body. But it lay bereaved
    Of any power. He could not wait till night....
    And he lay still. Blood swam across his sight.
    Then with a groan:
    "No luck ever. Well! I must die alone."

Occasional rifles cracked. A cloud that shone,
    Gold-rimmed, blackened the sun and then was gone...
    The sun still smiled. The grass sang in its play.
    Some one whistled, "Over the hills and far away."
    Gates watched silently the swift, swift sun
    Burning his life before it was begun....

Suddenly he heard Corporal Timmins' voice: "Now, then,
    'Urry up with that tea."
    "Hin Ginger!" "Bill." His men!
    Timmins and Jones and Wilkinson ("the bard")
    And Hughes and Simpson. It was hard
    Not to see them: Wilkinson, stubby, grim,
    With his "No, sir," "Yes, sir," and the slim
    Simpson, "Indeed, sir?" [while it seemed he winked
    Because his smiling left eye always blinked]
    And Corporal Timmins, straight and blonde and wise,
    With his quiet-scanning, level, hazel eyes,
    And all the others... tunics that didn't fit....
    A dozen different sorts of eyes. Oh, it
    Was hard to lie there! Yet he must. But no:
    "I've got to die. I'll get to them. I'll go."

Inch by inch he fought, breathless and mute,
    Dragging his carcase like a famished brute....
    His head was hammering and his eyes were dim,
    A bloody sweat seemed to ooze out of him
    And freeze along his spine... then he'd lie still
    Before another effort of his will
    Took him one nearer yard.

The parapet was reached.
    He could not rise to it. A look-out screeched,
    "Mr. Gates!"
    Three figures in one breath
    Leaped up. Two figures fell in toppling death;
    And Gates was lifted in. "Who's hit?" said he.
    "Timmins and Jones." "Why did they that for me?
    I'm gone already!" Gently they laid him prone
    And silently watched.
    He twitched. They heard him moan,
    "Why for me?" His eyes roamed round and none replied.
    "I see it was alone I should have died."
    They shook their heads. Then, "Is the doctor here?"
    "He's comin', sir, he's hurryin', no fear."
    "No good....
    "Lift me." They lifted him.
    He smiled and held his arms out to the dim,
    And in a moment passed beyond their ken,
    Hearing him whisper, "O my men, my men!"

18. A Haiku...

Cheap taxidermy
    Looks ugly in the houses
    Get what you pay for

19. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Greg, that was so touching it brought tears to my eyes. It reminds me of The Highwayman.

20. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

OK let me just say this 93ford you say this is part time and this gives you an extra 15 grand for your hobbies. But you say that you cant afford to go somewhere to help you improve your work. I think that is BS the reason you don't is you don't want to improve. And that is doing a disservice to your fellow taxidermist that depend on this for a living.
    By undercutting them in price and giving customers low quality mounts.

I do this part time also and I charge $600 for a wt shoulder mount. out of respect to others that depend on this and not take work away from them because I am cheaper.
    It helps me pay for any advanced training so I can produce the best quality mount that I can. Because I have pride in what goes out my shop door.
    It pays for my hobbies , sons hobbies , wife's hobbies , Christmas gifts , etc.

I only do 40 mounts a year and I could do more if I wanted but I don.t and I am still able to spend time with the family .

The Area I am in cant support the price is just another excuse that is used. And that I belive is BS also