1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

degreaseing with heat lamp

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by tyler-woody, Oct 7, 2011.

1. tyler-woody

tyler-woody New Member

Has anybody tyred to use a heat lamp tied into a thermostat. In a insulated box?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I would assume that that will accomplish baking the grease into the bone. You have to use either a solvent or detergent to get the grease not only off of the bone but also out of it from the inside out. Possibly if you packed the bone in a dry absorptive material like cat litter, speedy dry or something similar and set everything into an oven and slow baked it for a very long time you might possibly draw out a lot of the grease. This would seem to take more materials, time and money than simply soaking in Dawn. Though I may misunderstand, Are you trying to heat a degreasing solution this way? Getting a heat lamp near water might not be a wise or safe choice.

3. tyler-woody

tyler-woody New Member

I would be heating a dawn and water solution in individual containers painted black.

4. I'm with seawolf, I'm not sure I would want to get a heat lamp that close to water, just in case. And depending on how big th container is it might only heat the surface not all the water.

5. Sea Wolf

Another consideration would be the cost. Running a heat lamp I think would use more electricity than a bucket heater hooked to a thermostat. I don't know the wattage for your heat lamp. The bucket heater is 1000 but if the thermostat is set to 115 it is not on very long.

6. ravenswings1

ravenswings1 New Member

USA
    Sea wolf, Where did you find a bucket heater?

7. Sea Wolf

8. I use a heat lamp for my animals. I don't think it would get the water hot enough to degrease, much less "bake" anything.

Buy some Oil Heater for indoor/garage degreasing. :)

9. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

have you used that kind before. Good price. I have a tractor supply near me. I normally can degrease indoors over the winter (house) the deer or antelope I have, have little if any odor. But I have a big ol' greasy boar to do that is sure to smell up a storm and I need another heater anyway but something with a little more kick than what I use indoors since the garage it will be in is not insulated.

10. Sea Wolf

I have two. Both still being used. Use the caveman thread to put a thermostat on it or it will heat the water to 180 degrees. I don't use them for macerating as goo gets caught up in the holes of the guard. They are great for degreasing in a 5 gallon pail or 15 gallon tubs. The top on this is NOT waterproof. You have to make sure you take precautions to not have it fall in. :)