1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Other Taxidermist phone calls

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by miker, Oct 7, 2011.

1. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    How do you handle it when another taxidermist calls you up price checking? I had the local lowballer call me up telling me he just got a deer and was wanting prices. He asked about turnaround the whole mess. Said he would get back with me. I guess the part that kind of jerks my chain, If he wants to know just ask he doesn't have to lie about it. Hell send me your address I will send you a price sheet.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

When a caller ask your price,, turn it around politely and ask them how much would they want to pay. They will tell you what they are looking for, and you can hang up or try to reel them in.
    I had a taxidermist call and pretend he was confused, and asked me if he should choose a taxidermist that use liners over bondo, or if he should have it tanned or dp'ed, he knew way to much to be a customer, he was just feeling me out to see what I did for a process.
    I fell for it, and after he hung up, the light went on that I just got my jock yanked..

3. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

I always hate those calls. Like Mr T said, normally they ask way to many technical questions to be a real customer.

I had one call from his business line just this last week .... Definitely not the sharpest pencil in the box.

4. AA

AA Member

I have a real bright one here as well. Wanted to come to my shop and check out my work. Very interested in having me do some birds for him. Left his shop number for a call back. I let him know we didn't have to play that game and I could just send him a pricelist and if he had any questions I am an open book. Now he get's on local forums using alias screen names trying to stir the pot. Same guy is backed up 16 months and isn't taking anymore work in. Can someone help me out with this one. Has me a little confused after 18 years. Are you guys and gals that are backed up 16 months that insecure about the competition?

5. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Ive certainly been backed up for years but I dont call posing as a customer to get prices. Who cares what others prices are? Lol. Its so funny when I get those same calls every year from the other guys around, their Einstein-like wife calling me asking those tricky customer questions as I clearly see their name and number on the caller id. I guess people could consider it rude or poor sportsmanship when I give them some pretty interesting facts and figures and astronomical prices :eek: Other times I just vaguely play their game and give them the numbers they request ( does everyone ask for prices on deer, turkey moose and squirrels?) and before they hang up I say "oh and btw, be sure to tell Joe ( or whatever their husbands name is) that I said hello and good luck with his season". Its usually quite quiet for a sec before they gather their composure and say a hasty good bye.

Just to be fair, I also have another local guy who calls, says hi and hows things, and asks if I mind sharing some prices and if he can bouce a few figures off me to see how they sound. I actually look forward to it as we dont get time to talk much otherwise. Im sure we have helped one another out this way over the years. I like being friends with the competition if theyll only let me.

6. Jeff Z

Jeff Z New Member

Here
    Haven't had that problem but if I did I would quote say $250 for a shoulder mount with a panel. Turnaround oh that would be 2 months. Mess with them!

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Seems like they could just go to most Taxidermists web site and look at prices........creep calling is OLD SCHOOL! ;)

8. RTF

RTF Active Member

Last year I had an influx of calls come in with above average technical questions that I only suspect was other taxidermists. One guy called me 3 times to keep asking me more questions. I think this year I will put my prices back on my site so they would just stop calling. I could care so less about the other guys business and what he or she gets. Thats like McDonald's calling Burger King up and asking how much do they charge for their fries.

9. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

We have a guy in Michigan, and I know it's who Paul talks about.
    IT"S WAYNE LAUSE from Wayne's Taxidermy in Roseville Mich. he used to be a customer over 20+ years ago. Guy is a total joke.
    He has called me each and every year and calls every taxidermist here in Mich. to find out prices each season.
    I know his voice SO WELL it's incredible distint that when he called last year and I had enough of it I just said " I charge 950 per deer head but I don't know if I am taking any work in this year, I'm about a year behind and I still have 400 to do".
    The other end of the phone went dead and he hung up......

10. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

I know it's mean but we used to call the lowballers and tell them we had 6 or 8 deer and could they give us a deal. You can't believe what they would finally agree to. After the deal was worked out then we would tell them we were on the way with them only to never show up!!!!!! They would eventually call back since the invention of caller ID and we would tell them we had somebody give us an even cheaper price so they would go even CHEAPER!!!!!!!! These guys would lose money if they kept up their end of the deal!!!!!! Problem is they wouldn't or couldn't !!!!!! It gave us something to laugh about over a couple of beers....!!!! lmao

11. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Harry you SOB now I know why the guy that called last week with 8 deerheads didnt show up on fri at 5pm like he said he would.

12. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

LMAO! I would never do that ;-)

13. RTF

RTF Active Member

LOL @ Harry's sense of humor.............

14. mike g

mike g Active Member

Got a local guy here that tells everyone that he will beat anyone's advertised prices on everything. When potential customers calls and tell me that I say good for him.

15. nickstax

nickstax New Member

caller I D puts an end to most of the low ballers. if a guy thinks his work is only worth 250 than let him work for free.

16. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

We got smart and only used cell phones and none of our own personal phones. It's funny as hell when you get a female to call for you and play like they don't know what's going on.....all the while you're standing there writing things down on cards for her to ask the lowballer!!!! "Do you use the real eyes????" "What are they made of???" It's funny when the "professional" taxidermist tries to get technical and explain what he does...!!!!! Lmao

17. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

You have to much time on your hands Harry.... ;D

record some of those the person on the phone and the conversation on You Tube...LOL

18. snowhare

snowhare New Member

I P I S S UM OF BADLY ;D ;D ;D

If they ask me ,he how much for a Hawk J , my question will be what would you ask , so than i now the price and to have fun i triple that , even if it is not the Truth

let um eat that :eek: :eek:

Snowy