1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What kind of con job is this?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

A tiger trout? Huh? Looks like a poor mold of salmon very poorly painted. I normally don't comment on Ebay items but this guy has got to be a real piece of work!

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-Tiger-Trout-TAXIDERMY-FISH-SKIN-MOUNT-L-K_W0QQitemZ330107365720QQihZ014QQcategoryZ71127QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

It hAS A HEAD LIKE A TUNA!

3. pdh

pdh New Member

You should see some of his other fish he has listed :D

4. mitchman

mitchman my dog was tired

THATS WHAT I THOUGHT AT FIRST WOW. TUNA

5. RStanton

RStanton New Member

The name says it all... he's telling "tall tales."

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I've been told he sells brook trout with fork tails and full spawning phase sockeyes painted like cutthroats. Unbelievable. People like this give us a bad name.

7. pdh

pdh New Member

If you look at his website he is an "award winning taxidermist" I actually contacted him a few weeks ago and asked him what was up with a fish he had listed ( brutal brown ) He was very nice and truely seemed interested in feedback. But didn't really see anything wrong with the mounts. The fish I asked about made that " tiger " look like a master piece...go figure.
    On the ebay front I have always wondered how guys sell fish on ebay, is it not illegal in most areas ?

8. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

You guys are way off base. That fish is a bargain and has a ton of historical value. It represents that moment during the Pliestocene epoch in which a trout crawled out of the water and evolved into a tiger. Glad to help.

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

:D :D :D

10. skinitall

skinitall Member

GA.
    Looks like a cross between a Bonita and a Muskie to me!!

11. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

I was kinda thinking Spanish Mac. (sp?) , but I like the idea of
    the prehistoric fish turning into a Tiger.

Mike

12. Did you check out the rest of his fish, he sure has been busy, but he must work in a poor lighted area, with underexposed reference photos, put a Rick Krane paint job on them and the guy would make a killing. Link to his other fish:
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtalltalestaxidermy

13. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Check out the grayling in his "completed" items. Notice anything ODD?

14. trapperff

trapperff Member

I think its an Alaskan Chum Salmon -- Alaska chum salmon develop wild looking pink and black tiger stripes during their upstream spawning migration. Chum salmon are also called dog salmon, calico, and tiger fish by Alaska fishermen.
    An Alaskan chum salmon is easily identified by the distinctive pink and black vertical tiger stripes running up and down it's sides. Not sticking up for the guy, just a little information for the nay- sayers

15. Wildchild 69

Wildchild 69 Trust Me!!!

This website looks like a match. http://www.talltalestaxidermy.net/

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Sure a chum salmon is the closest thing it comes to but it's obvious he purposely misleads by calling them something else. There is no way someone is that ignorant.

17. fish looked better on a plate with side salad, check out the website, theres a guy wearing a ginger hat.

18. pdh

pdh New Member

Here one he did of " old Square Tail "

19. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Sorry if I ruffle any feathers...but I've seen way too many scam artists that use "Religion", or "God" in their advertising to make people THINK that they are good people. Pisses me off!! Notice his website? There was a paver in our remote area of eastern MT a few years ago, who had his phone # in huge letters on his equipment. When you called the number, you would NEVER get an answer, it would ALWAYS go to a message to leave your name number blah blah blah, but ended in a big Ol "GOOD DAY AND GOD BLESS". Needless to say, there are SOOOOO many older couples (and younger) who fall for this CRAP! Sadly, he took about a hundred thousand bucks from people in our town, and most of their new asphalt was so thin that it had weeds growing through it within months. Its a shame that a person has to be leary of someone who might throw a "bless you" your way :mad:

20. Cecil, I think you are right about people like this giving us a bad name. What I really think is that he has found a niche and people are lining up to give him their money. If it sells he will be back with plenty more. There are people ignorant to the fact, they just don't know taxidermy and how it works. Sorry, I guess I am venting. Who am I to begrudge, he might need the money to buy taxidermy supplies or better yet pay for his shipping. lol Frank.