1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

cheek pockets on largemouth/ critter clay

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by trky, Oct 10, 2011.

1. trky

trky New Member

Anyione ever use critter clay to fill their cheek pockets? I just ran into a situation with my mache and had to dig it back out. Instead of mixing more mache I packed cheeks through eye sockets with critter clay. Does anyone see this being a potential problem or not? Thanks

2. Manny

Manny New Member

I have used it once... Did not like the extended set time of clay and went back to mache.

3. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

No problems that I have seen and clay/sculpt actually works very well. Smooths out nice. It's probably more economical to use mache though. I have used clay with good results but both work well. The last couple I did I used Tom Sextons filler and came out great......

4. wishbone

wishbone New Member

i love the critter clay...its all i use!

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I don't like the dry time or the weight of critter clay

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

It dries very slow, it is heavy, it is very dark in color, it's expensive, and it's a mess when wet. I make my own mache that is set within minutes so I know exactly what my cheeks are going to look like dry.

7. slater56

slater56 Member

I use Epo-Grip Mache Magic, just mix up enough to do one side at at time. you can have both sides filled and have it set up in 15 minutes.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

X2

9. trky

trky New Member

Thanks everyone. I have some Epo-Grip on order

10. I have used clay in the fish cheeks for 30 odd years. When dry its not but maybe an ounce heavier than mache. Plus I like the extra day to shape the cheeks. and should you have to grind it out for any reason is just dirt and not something you are not sure of.

11. WV Outdoorsman

WV Outdoorsman New Member

Newbie question for you guy's. What are your opinions on using cotton balls for this??? That is how I have been shown and was just wondering the pros thoughts on this. Are cotton balls frowned upon for filling cheek pockets and if so why???

Thanks,
    WVO

12. a cotton ball will not harden. When the cheek dries it will just contract the cotton and leave a unatural shape much like nothing in there at all. The reason for a fast setting mache is for it to hold its form while drying.

13. den007

den007 Active Member

Listen to what Doug A says about cotton balls. Totally unsatisfactory. I generally use mache, but as stated, as the fish dries, sometimes there is an Ooooops moment when you realize not all of the cheek pocket was totally full. White clay gives time to shape and smooth both cheeks and fin butts. Play Dough makes a very light, white, air dry clay I mean to try on a fish. Anybody ever use it? If not, I will let you know my results on here.

14. WV Outdoorsman

WV Outdoorsman New Member

Thanks for the input!!! I really appreciate it. I am fortunate to be learning from a mentor but I also know there are alot of newer techniques and better ways to do things. I see you guys recommend clay and mache. How about fish filler? Im not sure if you guys consider fish filler to be a mache or not?

Thanks,
    WVO

15. bwilke

bwilke Member

I have used both but currently use 45 min drywall compound, ALOT less expensive then critter clay and a 20 lb. bag will last a long time