1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

musky size question

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by pvbooner, Oct 12, 2011.

1. pvbooner

pvbooner New Member

I just started musky fishing this year and was caught my personal best this past weekend. My question is what would you say the average size musky you mount is and how many you do under 50 inches. I am asking this because the one that I caught was a fat 47.25 inches and I don't really know if it was a Really nice fish or I can expect to catch one like this from time to time. Also it was caught in Indiana which isn't really know for musky with to me makes it that much more of a trophy. Thanks in advance for your responses.

PV

2. That's a really nice fish for Indiana!

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

A fat 47 incher is a nice musky anywhere IMO!!! FYI, the Webster area in Indiana is relatively well known for good numbers and sizes of muskies in the midwest. FYI again, the bulk of the muskies I mount are under 50 inches. I don't do a lot of muskies - skin or reps, but 46"- 47" seems to be about the average size of the ones I do....

4. den007

den007 Active Member

Most are under 50........43-48 range.

5. pvbooner

pvbooner New Member

I have heard that the North Webster area is good and would like to make it up there sometime but we have actually been fishing at some of the lakes that the DNR stocks in the southern part of the state. Have actually had a good first year fishing for them with the first one I caught back in April being about 44 inches but is was not near as healthy as the one I caught last weekend.

6. matchbook454

matchbook454 Member

I used to fish Muskies pretty regularly and have landed at least 75 in about 20 years. I've fished WI and IL and my biggest is only 45". I did have a 43" mounted that I landed while fishing myself when I was 18 and had 5 fish in a row prior to that which were 40" and said that I would mount the first fish 41" or larger! Anyway, my goal is now 50" plus to put on the wall or 30 lbs. (with length and girth measurements if not 50") for a replica.