1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whole sale hide prep

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by rivervalleytaxideremy, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Hi all, my name is Scott and I run a wholesale fleshing service for deer here in Wisconsin. All you have to do is send me your raw cape and I will turn it completely and flesh it clean. Double salt it and dry it. I charge $25 per cape this does not include shipping. If you would have any questions e-mail me at [email protected] or call my shop between the hours of 8 a.m.-3 p.m. 1-608-989-2142

Attached Files:

2. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Are you getting any work ?

3. A little slow right now but I average about 600 capes each year. I do have pictures if you are interested of the job I do.

4. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Re: Re: Whole sale hide prep

I think you should post some pictures up.....thats a good price for people that are near you. shipping might get costly. Pics definitely peak the interest a little.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

New Guy Question Again.

When a real taxidermist sends off a cape to a tannery, what is done to the cape before it gets to the tannery Like fleshing or turning? or does the taxidermist just takes the cape and let the tannery do all the work?

Do all real taxidermist use tannery?

What is wrong with just using a home solution like krowtan?

6. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

Before some one jumps on you about the "real Taxidermist" Ill reply, I know what you meant :D. For me, as a part time guy, it is more cost effective for me to have the tannery turn, split, flesh, salt and tan my capes. All I do is skin the head and freeze the cape. My tannery actually offers a pick up and drop off service so it doesnt cost me a thing for shipping. In reality it would take me over an hour to turn, split,flesh and salt a whitetail cape. This includes cleaning my fleshing machine and disposal of salt when im done. I actually gave myself a $35.00hr raise by paying the tannery to do it. Win win for me, I can spend that time with the Family :) I think youll find everyone has a different way of handling this, just find what works for you.

If the cape is done in house, and there is nothing wrong with that, there are different procedures for different methods. Regardless of the method chosen the skin has to be turned and fleshed.

7. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

Sorry about the "real taxidermy" I was talking about myself. It seems like a tannery would be more of the commercial level rather then a hobbyist who dreams about running a shop. Thanks for answering my question. How long does it take for you to get your hides back after sending them off?

8. We all started off doing it as a hobby, I hope you get good enough to get your own full-time shop because it's the best job in the world to me. I tan all of my capes in my shop, i salt, pickle, and tan my hides myself because it seems to be the most cost efficient way for me, also because if I do it all myself I can make sure that no extra holes get cut in them. I've never sent one to them so I don't know if that happens alot or not, But that's just my personal preference though.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

9. I have been running a full time shop for the past six years. Just looking to do more fleshing

10. the 25 bucks is a great price, its the shipping to and from, thats going to kill you.

11. zeigler

zeigler New Member

can you post some pics

12. For what it's worth, I have been to Scott's shop and his fleshed hides looked fine to me.

Bruce

13. Chewy

Chewy New Member

so you dont tan, you just flesh, turn and salt?