1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Would you take the job?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Cole, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I came across this pic today and thought I'd see what everyone's opinion was. This guy showed up with this cat he had shot w/ his high power and wanted it mounted. I felt a little bad for the guy because he had driven an hour to get to me, and walked in the shop with a cat that had a volleyball sized hole in his head/neck/shoulder. It appeared most if not all of the skin was there, so I told him I'd do what I could. This was a pic I got of the skin after it was tanned and being prepped for mounting. What do you think, would you have taken the job? LOL

Attached Files:

• boom.jpg
      boom.jpg
      File size:
      78.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

From that pic, maybe not. But you have it opened up, and if the top were brought down to meet the bottom, it looks as if the neck would be about right. Face is all there. At least it isn't in shreds.

3. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

If it's all there hell yeah I'd take the job. Needle and thread baby!

4. Mason

Mason Active Member

We'd deffinatley take it in.
    Been there before with this dog. This one also was missing his testicle and his hind legs was in pieces
    [​IMG]

Have another coming up witch is not as bad.
    [​IMG]

I know you got this one Cole! You are too good at what you do, not to do it ;)

5. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

May be a little rough around the eye since the hole is up on his face. But overall, bobcat fur is good to hide stitching. Would like to see how it comes out.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cole, stop being a drama queen. Show me the finished cat. ;D ;D :D ::)

7. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Re: Re: Re: Would you take the job?

haha! me too, I want to see it already!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Exactly!

9. irishme

irishme New Member

;) Mason, Nice yote, very nice job.

10. I've fixed worse :'( . And the finished mount was not laying on the damaged spot. ;) Stitch that [edit] up!

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

LOL You've seen it before. It wasn't anything I just did, I was just cleaning up some old pics and came across this one.

What's wrong with laying it on the damaged spot? LOL In hindsight I could have mounted it in any pose since the stitching didn't show, but I was taking the safe route.

[​IMG]

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

BTW, that's a very pretty coyote!

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cole, that may well be the best mount you'ver ever done.

14. Mason

Mason Active Member

Thank you Cole,

After I posted it, I felt kinda ignorant. Like I had stole your thunder with your post. Then I thought. There was no possible way me and Linda could steal YOUR thunder when it came to critters.
    This was our 2nd yote. He is a local kill, like the one in the other pic still in the raw :D We sure get beautiful animals around here during the winter months.
    Thank you also Timber Ghost

15. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Re: Re: Would you take the job?

Have to agree with george again....that mount is perfect!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I don't know about that, but the client was happy so I was happy.

No way, I love seeing other's work, especially predators. It's also cool to see I'm not the only one that gets these disasters in the shop and are expected to make them look like nothing ever happened.

17. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

A few months back I posted pics of a laying down ls deer, a real monster, that I had to transplant the ears on. I know guys who wouldnt have bothered, but I felt pleased with the results. I hear what youre saying Cole!

18. BEAUTIFUL. I think that is the best cat I have ever seen. Wow...I am super impressed. Can I come and watch you work?

19. Mason

Mason Active Member

It seems we get more with problems, then we do without ::) Part of the job I spose!
    We have a job like that now Bill on a coyote, if we could ever find a replacement ear that is !

20. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I would think I could get you a spare set of coyote ears in the next few weeks, everyone kills em around here. The regular grey/white front and reddish blonde backside ears?