1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is there a difference between Safety Acid and Pickling Crystals...

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Jon S, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

as far as what it does to a skin. I had always used pickling crystals and just tried safety acid after hearing the raves about it on here. The Ph of the pickle was way lower and stayed low, but the cape came out of the pickle feeling much firmer and tougher. So much so that it was a lot harder to do the final fleshing and shaving.
    I use a mini flesher and razor blades. Are the pickling crystals better suited to use with them?
    Or should I change something up on my mixture. I do about a 40% salt solution in the pickle and about 1/2 oz of safety acid per gal (maybe a little more actually).

I also now realize from reading some previous posts that I didn't neutralize it enough either.

2. dozier

dozier New Member

I use alot of salt with safey acid and a little more acid than it call's for . I add degreaser too . Been using it for a long time with consistant results .

3. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Your pickling crystals are most likely oxalic acid. I personally dont prefer either product you mentioned. Oxalic is fairly toxic, and the other product you mentioned leaves the skin too "tight", and harder to shave.

Citric acid is by far the best, as far as ease of shaving goes. Its a little more expensive, but the time it will save in shaving and degreasing, will justify the added cost.

Safety acid, and products like it work, but that about it. :( That would be my absolute last choice of acids. I used to sell something simmilar, but I ALWAYS told folks UP FRONT, that I think that safety acid, and products like it, will not allow a skin to reach its FULL POTENTIAL of stretch.

For a skin to achieve maximum stretch, a good rehydration and a good pickle are a must! Its not all about the tan and oil. :eek:

A tannery can get a drum of the stuf for alot less than formic, but you will never see one using it, because they know better! ::)

4. Thanks Aubrey!

5. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Thanks Oldshaver. "Tight" is a perfect description of what it was like.