1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Redhead?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by wild prairie, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Shot his duck out of a small group of redheads. Is the bill and leg/foot coloration normal for a female redhead? I have never seen one quite like it before. The light color on the legs/feet were almost milky white. Any thoughts? Just a normal female redhead?

Attached Files:

2. bill

Attached Files:

3. legs/feet

Attached Files:

4. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

could be a scaup hen

5. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

X2 look at the white on the face

6. Do the scaup hens have the black coloration on the top of the bill? The only ones I've seen don't. But it does look quite similar. Thanks for the help so far. Anyone elsewant to chime in?

7. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

hen scaup for sure redhead hen would have an almost white ''ring' at the end of her bill the dark coloration could be from immaturity blood under the bill skinetc.

8. duckdock

duckdock New Member

What color are her eyes? Scaup will have yellow eyes.

9. Scaup it is. The bill coloration was throwing me off. Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it.

10. not a 100% scaup...got any pic of the side of the face...back of the bird says redhead..dont know that ive seen a scaup/redhead hybrid but...

11. I only have the next 3 pics (without thawing it out and taking more)
    Thanks everyone for the help!

Attached Files:

12. another view

Attached Files:

13. oops! double pic on the last one...this is the other one I wanted.

Attached Files:

14. my opinion is scaup/redhead hybrid....for sure not a pure redhead or scaup hen so it doesnt leave much other option..too bad its not a drake..

15. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Sure has a lot of redhead in it. Only thing I see odd is the face and bill.

16. that was my origional thought as well Jim. But the face and bill are throwing me off.

17. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

redhead.....old hen.......

18. I would lean towards drake, super young, mutation,etc. Reason being the wing I would expect to have some lightening of the secondaries if a scaup was in the mix. The head has the lighter ring like a scaup but different in amount and fading into the darker color. Bill shape also in line with the Redhead profile. So my vote would have to be for young drake, or even a ridiculously old one.
    Female redheads have the "lighter" area at the base of the bill which is normally there but not distinct so not hard to imagine a bird that is so famous for their heads having white feathering mutations to develop a condition where the lighter feathers around the bill are just white.

Eric

19. Re: Re: Re: Redhead?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information enginev

20. mislynx

mislynx Member

100% Redhead