1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

For those who use laquer thinner...

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Texan, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Texan

Texan Member

Thinking of trying it to degrease but have a few questions. Do you use it straight or mix with water? Can you use the thinner for more than one skull or do you pretty much have to throw it away after using it on one skull? Also, how long does the average deer take? Thanks for any help.

2. Blue Tick

Blue Tick New Member

Curious about this as well!

3. Im curious as well. but to add my 2 cents...........you cant mix it with water and I suggest you go through two or three dawn change outs to get the rough stuff off first. Dunk into the lacquer thinner. The other questions I am not sure on! good luck

4. Texan

Texan Member

Over 200 views and no one can help?

5. You can use laquer thinner to degrease, also white gas (Coleman fuel), dentatured alcohol, and gasoline for that matter, but buy a chemical wash such as Rittel's Super Solvent . Several washes with dawn would be a good start and then let it dry. Shouldn't be that much grease in it anyway! Just redo the process, if the grease doesn't come out the first round.

6. Laquer thinner, white gas (Coleman fuel), dentatured alcohol, gasoline, and Rittel's Super Solvent can be reused many times for degreasing skulls or bones, just let the crud and water settle to the bottom. But I would be careful using degreasers over again for skins, they can get a little dirty and could stain or damage fur.

7. BossHog

BossHog Skips Deer on Cedar Plaque.

My Father-in-law, that worked in a Texaco refinery his whole life, told me back in the early 70's when we had regular gas (leaded) and High test or unleaded that unleaded gas was the exact same as white gas (Coleman fuel). I ran all my Coleman lanterns and stoves on unleaded gas ever since that day and have never had a problem. Not one drop of Coleman fuel has ever been added. My point is don't go spend what ever Coleman fuel is selling for now, I'm thinking 12 or 14 dollars, just buy gasoline.

8. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

Really? hmmm. Didn't know that. Got some in the can from the mower just going to sit all winter, might put some to use. Thanks.

9. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I use gas on stubborn bear and pig skulls after trying ammonia and dawn.

10. I used gas in a test I did on some coyote skulls.........found it to be worthless. ACetone and Lacquer thinner were very productive.