1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Repo or replacement gator heads

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Ron B, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Just got an email from a guy who wants a gator mounted , problem is it has no head, At least not enough to call it a head! Must of 50 BMG'd it! Nasty all the way. Is there such a thing as a repo head for gators or somewhere I could get a replacment head for it! No way I want to rebuild that mess!!!

Gator appears to be about 9 to 10 feet.

2. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Send me pics of the head. I will let you know how repairable it is or isn't. As far as a replacement head I do make some reproduction heads just let me know the length and width and I'll see if I have anything close. ;)

3. Most of them can be fixed. To competition quality...no.
    I have a few blown out with .44 hollow points. It looks like a disaster. But usually the puzzle goes back together pretty close.
    Once you cut the brain case and pallet out, you can rebuild from the inside out. Just use apoxie to stick the loose pieces together. After it sets up, you can repair the outside, and fill any missing bits. If you mix a few drops of black paint with the grey apoxie, your finish work will be easier.
    Make sure you get paid for it...it is tedious.
    Ron

4. If he can afford to shoot a gator with a 50 BMG, then he can probably afford the repair ;) (probably need most $ up front though!)

5. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Thanks all! Psycho ... I'll pm you, I am interested in your repo heads and how they work.