1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Habitat

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by fourrifles, Oct 23, 2011.

1. I'm working on habitat for my first mount. I've built a shelf (it's for a landing goose) and am looking to have cut corn and plain dirt with some weeds. I used spray foam and stuck the weeds and cornstalks into the foam. Then I painted the foam brown, coated it with polyester resin, and spread dirt over it. So far, so good. Let the resin dry and sprayed everything with clear matte finish.

So, everything looks good BUT...the dirt has some frosty looking spots, from the matte spray. I'm not complaining; it looks cool like there's frost on the dirt, but wondering what might cause the "frosty" look on parts of the dirt. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Ron

2. OK, here's some pics. The "frosty" look is visible. The wood is not finished yet. What creates that frosty look on the dirt?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. I actually like the frosty look. For the time of year you would be goose hunting I think it adds a nice little touch to the habitat. I had this happen to me once on a deer nose when using modge podge im not sure what caused it, but in your case I dont think it hurt anything.

4. JustinNH

JustinNH New Member

Wow, I actually think the frost (unless it is just the way the pics show it) looks fantastic. Im a big waterfowl hunter and that captures A LOT of mornings that I remember. I like it.

5. Believe me, I'm not complaining, I really like that look. Just wondering what may have caused it; I would like to figure this out so I can either create that effect or avoid it as the case may be. And those pics are pretty close to what it looks like; just like dirt in a field on a cold winter morning.

Be nice to know how to make that happen on purpose; this was totally accidental!

6. Mandolinmama

Mandolinmama New Member

Not sure what would cause that, Ron, but I like it!

7. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

moisture trying to escape from underneath most likely. Also happens if applied to heavy at one time instead if light coats.

8. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

the frost is from a heavy coat of flat ''poly'' ,better 2 or 3 thin coats than one heavy one I've had it happen with decoys and flat spray .Nothing wrong with a frost look anyway!!!Duck huntin' is a cold time of year!!!!

9. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Yep, moisture will cause the matte finish to become frosty looking.

10. WV Outdoorsman

WV Outdoorsman New Member

I think it looks great. I have a stupid newbie question!!! I am assuming the corn stalks are the real deal. Will they last just like they are or did you preserve them some how? Told you it was a stupid question:/ LOL!!!

WVO

11. I hope they last, they are the real deal but are pretty dry and I coated them with matte clear finish, smae with the weeds (which I yanked from my yard). I think the big question is will the matte finish keep them from molding and I think it will since they were very dry when I put them in. This is my first time doing something like this; my wife uses dried plants in crafts and they last forever so I'm hoping the dried corn stalks will also.

And yes, good thoughts on what causes the frostiness. Be good to keep in mind because I really like the look; so does the guy that gave me the goose! I'll post pics once the whole mount is complete, the shelf is finished (the aromatic cedar looks really cool with a coat of clear gloss), and I get some feathers to finish off the gooses back (want to fill in some screw-ups).

Thanks for all the comments. This site is great for newbies. And thganks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

Ron

12. I am not trying to hijack your thread here but when it happened to me the deer had been drying for over 2 weeks with no moisture and it did the same thing. Now that I think back I do believe I used triple thick to recreate the nodules and then once completely dried modge podge for a final gloss could that have caused it mixing the two? Once again sorry for Hijacking your post

13. I think I have to go with moisture in the dirt here. The frostiness didn't appear right away but only as the finish dried, and it only appeared on the dirt (the weeds and corn were very dry but there may have been some moisture in the dirt). I suppose it could also have resulted from the polyester resin or spray foam outgassing after the matte was applied.

14. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Nice Job.

15. Thanks, Bearrug. I'm enjoying the heck out of this, it's more than the animals it's the whole thing. Just got hooked up with a school for next summer and hope to get some individual specialized instruction after that. Shoulda done this years ago.

16. murph

murph Member

Hi,
    I've had that same thing happen when it was very humid modge podge also. Kinda looks the same.

17. Humidity is a real issue here during the rainy season (which seems to last most of the year). I'll have to keep that in mind on future work.