1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pickling with Formic

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Don, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Don

Don New Member

Just wondering if it is OK to plunk a raw deer cape or what-ever straight into a formic pickle without pre-salting and draining the cape for a while?

Thanks,

Don

2. WBB793

WBB793 New Member

Yes

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I suppose it is okay, but I would recommend salting the skin first. The salt has a purpose, and to properly tan a skin it is a step that can't be skipped.

4. dozier

dozier New Member

It will still get pickled but salting pull's out all those oils and grease's , then you get a better pickle , and a better tan . If your worried about time just salt one day will be better than none .

5. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Just like anything else in life, you can take shortcuts or you can do it the proper way.

Salting doesn't pull out any oil or grease.

6. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Yes just flesh, remove any fat turn and split and you can add your cape to the pickle agitate freq. at a pH of 2.0 or lower, I have done this hundreds of times, the pickle is what removes albumens, globulins: soluble non-fibrous proteins of blood, mucous material that is associated with the collagen fibres. On greasy fatty skins not including deer family degreasing is a must, use a degreasing fluid as the pickle has no effect on removing grease or fat, as grease and fat is insoluable and does not mix with water. Salting is a way of removing moisture to prevent bacteria growth and does not contribute to removal of any grease or oil and is not necessary unless you plan on storing the skins for a prolonged time period, the acid pickle is what does the job of cleaning out the collagen fibers along with the proper degreasing method.

7. dozier

dozier New Member

So every one agree's that salt only pull's out water . That's it .

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

No

9. cyclone

Geez, I don't remember stating that..

Salting and rehydration is an important step in the tanning process. It removes a lot of the glycosaminoglycans present within the collagen structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycosaminoglycan

10. cyclone

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,227777.0.html

11. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

12. cyclone

[quote author=What oldshaver Said:]

Not salting FIRST, then waiting 3 days, is a mistake.

Salting is the first step to a GOOD TANNING FOUNDATION, and always will be.

It is IMPORTANT to good stretch, and good tan and oil fixation!
    ;)

[/quote]

13. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

What happened? ??? LMAO

14. cyclone

You obviously have a loose nut behind your keyboard! ;D

15. dozier

dozier New Member

Glycosaminoglycans . hexuronic acid and carbon sugar . I'm glad i double salt my capes because i dont want that crap goin into my pickle .

16. Yes, the cape once fleshed and turned can go straight into a formic acid pickle. Its fine for shoulder mounts and small lifesize. You will find that if you put the cape into the pickle flesh side out and work it a few minutes, then allow it to soak a few hours, turn inside out. that the cape will pickle just fine.

You can neutralize and liqa tan or any other brush one tan. Or add Lutan_f and raise the pH to 5.and tan the hide.

Over the years I have used a lot of different methods and the raw cape right into the pickle has saved many capes that would have slipped had they been salted and dried.

If you think it has to be salted you can salt and hang the cape so fluids drain from the hide over night. Then into the pickle.