1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Extremely thin skin deer cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mrdux, Oct 23, 2011.

1. mrdux

mrdux Member

I got in a nice 13 point FULL VELVET buck last week. It was taken on a farm next to our deer lease and one of the guys on our lease has tons of photos of it, one was 1 1/2 hours before it was taken. The deer appears to be healthy in the photos and he had both of his testicles. That question has come up since the buck was over a month behind most other bucks in our area to have shed the velvet. A local processor caped the deer and cut the cape all to crap.

When I started taking the head out of the cape, I noticed all the processor cuts and decided to inspect the cape to see if it could be saved. While checking it, I noticed that the skin side was very blueish, like when one does a really good job of thinning before mounting. It ended up being EXTREMELY thin with very little fat on the skin. I would have been proud to be so skilled as to get one that thin when fleshing on my Dakota. I think the thin cape probably contributed to the cuts the processor made, not to try to lessen the mess they left me with.

I have never seen a whitetail skin so thin. Could this just be a normal condition to this deer or could it be some sort of abnormality? I didn't get to see the hooves of the deer to see if they might have been curled from EHD/Blue tongue like others I have seen. We have had some reports in my area of big buck deaths from EHD this year.

Any ideas? The deer's ribs were showing slightly, not unusually so, in the pics right before its death but the pics were taken of it feeding in a corn bait pile. It had a 17" neck which is normal for our early season bucks. This is a 1st for me.

2. Kydeerhunter03

Kydeerhunter03 New Member

Here in Kentucky our bow season starts the first weekend in September when most bucks are still in full velvet and partially still in their summer coats. I have noticed that the deers skin is thinner in early season and I have caught myself making silly cuts while skinning out those early season deer. I dont think the deer had anything wrong with it, I shot a doe a few weeks ago and her skin was super thin for being an October kill. I also got one in last year during rifle season that was so thin the fleshing machine was just murdering the brisket area so I just hand fleshed the remainder.

Good luck, I know how annoying it is to fix someone elses caping cuts :)