1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Moose bell?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by elkmasterwyo, Oct 26, 2011.

1. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

Getting ready to do my first moose, wondering what I do with the bell? It's about 10-12" long. Do I just card it how I want it and let it dry?

2. carve one out of foam or balsa wood

3. First off hopefully you split the bell all the way and from there you can either use clay or like stated above foam or wood. Some forms come with a bell on them and some dont so that will determine how much material or the route you go. Most of the time I just use clay and you dont have to worry about completely filling the long skinny portion of the bell I have never had a problem but TJMO

4. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

I'd use foam as much as you can then fill in with clay. Run a pretty heavy gauge 8-10 wire top to bottom. It will help attach it to the form.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I've never done one but I watched a buddy of mine do one. He looped a wire close to the shape of the bell then pinned a plastic bag to the form. Added two part foam to bag and formed it with his hands as it expanded. He then rasped it to its final shape.

6. northernmontana

northernmontana Active Member

I run a heavy wire into the form then wrap the wire until I get the desired thickness. Just like wrapping a bird wing or leg.

7. crittrstuffr2aol.com

crittrstuffr2aol.com Making hunting memories last a lifetime.

You can also turn it all the way to the edges tan the cape then mix fiberglass fibers with bomdo shape it to the desired thickness and there you go. I also choose to reinforce mine with two pieces of wire to help stabilize it and that also makes sure it's centered under the jaw. Just another way to do them.

8. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

Thanks everyone some great info here!